Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anterior Cervical Discectomy w/fusion VS. crevical endoscopic discectomy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All. New to site and seeking info. My neurosurgeon has advised me that i need an ACDF procedure for a herniated disk at C6-C7. I have heard a lot of troubling news about recovery times and post-op pain and discomfort. Has anyone had the less invasive procedure Cervical Endoscopic Discectomy? I'd like to hear from folks who have had either type of this surgery and your post-op experiences. Thanks for any help or info. you can provide.Thanks,John
advertisement

Comments

• Hi there!!

I had an anterior foraminotomy done in April, (see my signature). For me, the herniation and protruding discs were right side, affecting my right shoulder, arm and hand. I woke up in recovery with no radicular pain/numbness/tingling in those areas whatsoever!!! Since, I'm still stiff, and do get pain in my neck when sitting up for too long, but I was driving after a week post op, and my range of motion has increased every day (I couldn't move my head before)!! I didn't have to wear a collar, and it was an out-patient procedure (went home same day). I still have problems, because they didn't fix the stenosis, which is left side, so I do still have minor symptoms with that. But, I am so glad I had it done, as it worked for me. Before, I couldn't grasp anything or make a fist, and was in so much pain. I'll always have pain, due to the degenerative discs and arthritis, but it's bearable most days now, I'll take that, compared to where I was pre-op.
    So what they did, was trim the protruding disc, removed the herniation, removed the bone spur complex I had, and ended up having to remove a small part of the effected vertebrae body because of that. But there was no bone grafts, or fusion. My incision is about 2 inches, horizontally from right side to center of the front of my neck. It is getting less noticeable with time, as well, in fact, they cut right in a natural crease in my neck, so my joke is when I'm old and wrinkly, you won't even notice it!!! I was on dilaudin (hydormorphone), 4mg every 4 hours for a week (tried going off at 3 days, found out that was a bit of a mistake) but after 8 days, was able to wean myself off of them. I felt like I had a lump in my throat for about a month, but that has gone away.
    Anyways, hope this gives you some info on a different type of less invasive procedure, good luck, and I hope everything works out for you!!
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • :H Your reply was very helpful and much appreciated. I'll probably have the procedure by Mid June if all goes well with the Workers Comp people. Take care and feel better, John
  • I had ACDF last May for C3-C6 (3 disks). Yours is much less so you will do better. I have talked with others that had 1 or 2 discs and their experience was better. Mine was difficulty swallowing and pain for 10 days. Today I do have some motion limitation, but not much.

I had my T7-8 removed last week and am back down recoverying from that. Many of the problems on my left side have already gone away from the surgery.

The ACDF does worked well. I know one surgeon that had to do some repair work on an ACDF, so any problems can be fixed as well. Good luck.