Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pressure in lower hemisphere of skull from disc herniation?"

adie1aadie1 Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi Everyone.

Still relatively new here, so please bear with me if I "repeat" anything thats been posted (I did try to search thru some of the threads here for a similar topic)

About 18 months ago, after an elevator fall, I was finally diagnosed with having a herniated c5/c6 with left root/nerve impingement, and 5 thoracic herniated discs of mild to moderate size starting at t2 to t7 concurrently.

I have to "live" with wearing some type of sunglasses whether it be outside in natural light or in the pharmacy where I work, where we have fluorescent lighting, which really seems to get the shooting eye pain going in the left eye. It seems to radiate from the base of my neck/skull and up and over the head. I've been told its 'probably" some form of occiptal neuralgia.

Has anyone here who has similar disc herniations in the neck ever had this feeling of constant "pressure" at the base of the skull, kinda radiates into the shoulder, and when you press around the area, it feels "sore"?
I've had this since day one, and the pain is never more "severe" in nature, but is seems to go away for some time and then come back with a vengence.
The only thing I can "think" if doing to bring it on, is when I might be sleeping on that left side, and pressing on the nerve, or pushing the disc into my spinal cord????

Does this make any sense?? I am so lost, all I get from dr's even AFTER having the MRI is well "it might be that".

• Hi and welcome to spine-health!!
    We can not give you any medical advice with what is going on with the symptoms your having but can give you our personal experiences with the same thing.
    In 02 I had a severe hernation at C5/C6 also.
    I also had alot of pressure at the base of my skull, headaches. I also got alot of numbness on my left side for a few seconds if I were to lay on that side.
    It is very possible to aggravate that nerve from sleeping.
    Did they tell you the the size of the herniation.??
    What type of dr have you seen?? Just your primary? Ortho or neuro??
    It doesn't seem like they are giving you many answers.
    Have you had any treatments as in physical therapy or injections for the issue.
    I wish I had more for you.
    If you havn't consulted with a neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon I would do so if able.
    You shouldn't have to live with no answers..
    I wish the best of luck to you. If you need any help at all navigating around the boards please ask..

Take care
  • I get the headaches, too. Every day. It feels like someone is driving a spike in behind my eye, and has the back of my head in a vice. My NS referred me to a neurologist, who I see in a week, as I woke up from surgery with horner's syndrome (droopy eyelid and constricted pupil) and to see about the headaches. I have no answers for you, just to say that my heating pad on the back of my neck/base of skull, and a cool cloth covering my eyes and forehead is soothing and gives a little relief. Sending you warm, soft, quiet wishes of well being!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • thx terri and kelly

It's just good to know that "someone" else has similar symptoms and I'm not losing my mind!

Terri, I have had opinions from a 'spine surgeon', but he was under the direction of legal counsel when he saw me, as I had filed suit against the elevator company. I got nothing in terms of good info from him. He said "well if we learn to stand up straight", it would 'help' my problem. Maybe if some of these 'genius's had a little more compassion considering I have to stand working at a computer for almost 8 hours a day (and I'm a tall gal!) The alternative of surgery was brought up, but I have been told would be severely risky, as I have herniation not only at c5/c6, but t2/3 3/4 4/5 5/6 6/7, he called it the "pancake" effect", basically my upper thoracic spine would be fully titanium.
    I got the most help from my PT, she tried everything from ultrasound, acupuncture, massage. I had a very bad acupuncture experience however, after a few visits, she must have actually hit the nerve root that is affecting the headache in my eye, as I blacked out for a few seconds (I couldnt see) and scared the lights out of me.
    She set me up with a TENS machine, and that thing has been my godsend, and the only reason that I can still work. It has allowed me not to be heavily medicated so far, but it seems to be losing its effectiveness after about 2 years in.

Kelly, I know what you mean about the eye droop. I think my next "investigation" is going to see an opthamologist to see if they can "see" anything going on.

I have fibro as well, which just "compounds" the pain process. It's not total misery when you can focus and deal with pain in one are, but when you've got the spine, head AND muscles all over freaking out, it doesnt help, esp in the sleep department, as you are probably familiar with!

Thank you both for your posts.:)