Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Completely unable to do any rehab exercise - anyone else been there a year post op?

FormerfireFFormerfire Posts: 148
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Exercise and Rehab
It is 1yr post microdiscectomy L5S1 and I have not been able to do the exercises needed for proper rehab.

I am back at work, but sitting for 2 hours causes pain.

I have had Steroid inj in spine (lasted a couple of weeks).

I went to a diff dr today (surgeon away) and ended up crying....that showed me that I really must be over it (and I am no where near as bad as other people on here - you guys are amazing).

Anyway, I cant move properly, cant sleep in bed, cant get up off the floor without agony. Dr booked me in for another 6 steroid injections as well as another one in my hip because my stupid back is giving me recurring bursitis and I cant walk the basic 10min minimum to get this back better.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. Got any tips etc. I am currently seeing a Physio for the back spasms (and taking muscle relaxers and anti inflammatories) and a chiro for the twisted pelvis (which is apparently the cause).

As always, thanks heaps for your time :)

• I am sorry you've not recovered yet. A couple questions, did you have anytime after surgery where you felt better? Why 6 epidural injections, like did they give you a rationale for that? I know the obvious but that's alot, you don't pay any part of them I hope. What is the chiro manipulating? Were you doing your walking post-op? Was sitting painful before surgery, then got better stayed the same or worsened?

In lieu of not knowing the answers yet I will say if you can't get up from the floor is it possible you reherniated? It's been a yr and probably needs to be reassessed by way of a MRI. If you're not under the doc who did the surgeries care, if you did fine w/him/her, you might make an appt and tell them what's going on.

good luck
  • The surgery has definitely worked well. No more awful sciatic pain which is great.

I started walking around the block after surgery taking it easy, but it seems my back always spasms up and i end up not being able to move. In fact now it spasms so much I am getting bursitis in the hip which prevents me from walking (which i really need to do).

If i lie down and try and tilt bum backwards into floor etc it hurts, kind of pinching. I think they think that is facet joint.

I had 6 injections a while back and it worked for a bout a month. I just need to be given the all clear and start exercising through the pain or work out what the problem is. I started on the pain killers and relaxers again and it is making a difference.

Hmm not sure - my surgeon is away till mid June so the doc just ordered 6 more injections.
  • I have no clue, those symptoms are not typical for herniation right because your sciatic is so much better.

So I asked about the injections assuming they are epidural the limit is usually 3. It's 3 assuming you get reasonable relief from the first 2. If it's "shot" injections don't they say like 3 a year? I don't know 6 for a month isn't great.

well good luck were you are firefighter for a long time? my future son in law started academy training a few weeks ago. He's been volunteering over 400hrs though so he really loves what he's going to be doing. It's a little nerve racking.

take care
  • I am not sure what they are. They are facet joint injections of corticosteroids. So Epidurals would be into the spinal cord directly i would have thought.

I had 6 the other day and survived. The relief today is amazing. i am praying it lasts a lot longer now.

The most painful part was the local anaesthetic. The good thing was though that being awake, i was able to notice that the right hand side did not hurt at all but the left hand killed ...so that pretty much means its the left facet joints that are all inflamed (opposite side to the herniation) so could all be linked to the muscles spasms etc.
  • It's going on a year for me since I had my TLIF and I haven't gone for any type of therapy since my post op PT session; it was cut short since I wasn't improving. I am hoping once I have a pump put in, that I can get into aquatherapy or something. It just hurts too much to do anything right now. It is hard to get motivated about exercises when your pain grinds everything to a stop in your life. I am really hoping things will get better and my function improves.
  • Meydey, I do hope your pain improves too! It sounds like you are having a really tough time.