Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

advice please

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Lower Back Pain
I just joined this, figured I needed an outlet to describe my pain with people who might listen and understand. 8 weeks ago I raked my yard and cleaned out my basement lifting books and such. My back started to hurt soon after and has gotten to the point where I can't walk. I've been going to a chiroprator and finally stopped after 6 weeks and the symptoms worsening. Now my right lower back is so painful and my right thigh is shooting pain, like a knife in both! I'm starting physical therapy, but they suggest I see a surgeon for the spine. I had an MRI and it showed one herniated disc. Anyone had this and any suggestions? 8 weeks later and the pain is worse than ever.

• Welcome to Spine Health. You will find many similar stories here. Sorry that you are experiencing such terrible pain, but it is good that you are trying some conservative measures. Seeing a surgeon isn't a bad thing, just don't be looking for a quick fix or magic cure, as that isn't normally the case with spine issues. A herniated disc is no fun, but it isn't an automatic surgery sentence either. Have it evaluated and see what the surgeon says. Physical therapy is great for core strengthening and stretching. Don't be surprised if it makes the pain a bit worse initially, stay in communication with the PT and let them know whether you improve or get worse.

best of luck to you

• and welcome I also would add that as you stay in communication with the PT if the pain is worsening they should be able to "adjust" for your personal needs. If they can't and are 1 way or the hwy you might ask for another person. They should get you stretching with a little strenghening but not alot of core right away all at once.

Did the doc order you some pain meds and/or anti-inflammatories? A mild muscle relaxer would help probably too. The pain pill may help you do the PT because when you hurt that bad who wants to do that stuff right?

most disc's do resolve themselves if you start to have leg pain, or neurological symptoms like weakness, numbness, tingling etc or have any bowel/bladder problems. I would call the surgeon "C" suggested you establish a relationship with when you go for the initial visit he'll want you to bring the film from your MRI.

gook luck we totally understand your agony it's insane pain let us know how you're doing ok?
  • A pain Management Dr. will help once you see an Ortho or NeuroSurgeon to see if you need surgery. Usually the injections given by the Pain Management Dr. may help. I'm on lyrica for the nerve pain. Has your Dr. started you on any nerve pain meds or pain meds? A cane may help ease your leg pain as well as using heat or ice also. Good luck. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I know the feeling, Im sure we all do. I have a lot of pain but feel I have it a lot better than some people in here. I have a badly herniated Disc at L5/S1, been having horrible pain and just got my results back yesterday from my MRI. I would try to put off surgery as long as you can, but if Dr is telling you in will prevent further damage, maybe it might be the best option. I was one for not wanting surgery, never had it on my back, but to tell you the truth, watching some people go years and years putting it off and seeing the damage done to their spine is a bit scary. I would get more opinions, and if it is threatening more harm I would think about surgery. I dont know how anyone can really get better, There are good days and bad days, but disc issues usually come as a lifelong issue. Hope everything works out well for you, and I hope you feel better soon. Keep us posted..
This discussion has been closed.