Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5 S1 post op 7 days still tingling toes!!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello there my name is Ben, 7 days post op L5 S1 open discectomy for pins and needles in toes, mild aching calf progressing over time. History of falls to L5 S1,right leg skateboard injury and many other falls.
Feel great post op, bored stupid as no sitting for 3 weeks. Still pins and needles and sore calf, Will this settle in time????

• Hi Ben -

Welcome to the forum! Back in 1991 I had an L5/S1 laminectomy/fusion with hardware, etc. I can tell you that you'll continue to experience various symptoms for weeks if not months after your surgery...and that it's entirely normal for that to be the case. Much of what you're experiencing is probably nerve regeneration, as nerves have memories and are in affect...trying to forget the impinged state they WERE in, as well as trying to remember their pre-injury condition.

Just be sure to let your surgeon, PM Doc or PC Doc know what's going on and keeping a journal or diary of sorts will help you keep track of the when, how and where's of it all.

Best wishes to you and hang in there...it does get better over time!

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. everyone feels alittle bit different after surgery. everything is settling back into place! LOL! if it does not go away call your doctor!! :-C you sound like a very active guy and i know these weeks of recovery will be tough for you!! ~X( the better your recovery, the greater the chance you won't have to do it again.. <:P so be patient, hang out on the computor, play video games.. whatever guys do!! LOL! but be safe!! :D good luck with your recovery! :D Jenny :)
  • Hey Jenny, thanks for positive vibes!!! im gonna listen to your advice and take it slowly. what delicate things we are past thirty!! Best wishes for the future. Ben :H
  • Hi Jeff, Thanks for your words of wisdom, I guess ur right i need to give it time, when u have had chronic pain for 6 years its hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel, I am pain free but pins & needles are just as annoying, the body is a great healer if u give it the right ingredients so to speak. Its humbling the way in which i use to throw myself around.
    Now i have changed my lifestyle, job ect... and mental attitude, having a chronic back problem is an emotional roller-coaster, people with healthy backs just dont get it!!! Well thats enough of me moaning.

I see that big guitar in ur picture, surely that ain't real??? I am well into my guitar at the moment, although playing it lying down is awkward.
    I wish u well with ur back, catch u again sometime. Ben
  • hi ben, i had L4/L5 discectomy over 2 years ago and i still hvae numbness in my lower leg and foot. i still hve sharp pains in my leg and burning in my foot but the pins and needles sensations faded over time. maybe you will bet lucky and not have any residual numbness either. hang in there!
  • Thanks for reply, fingers crossed eh! I just hope the pins and needles and numbness is part of the nerves regenerating.
    I guess just gotta be patient and look after myself and not take silly risks anymore like skateboarding or mountain biking, ect... Think i may need to change my job as 11hrs sitting on call center cant be helping. What caused your back trouble????? :?