Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tired, worried and new!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone, stumbled across this site and thought i would join up and perhaps get some advice, although reading about other people's problems makes me feel silly about mine!

Little bit about me - I'm 19 and for a couple of years now I've had lower back pain. (I've seen a chiropractor for 6 years) About 3 weeks or so ago the back pain became suddenly worse, it was painful even to stand up or sit down. I also began having burning/sharp and numb sensations in my lower legs and feet. It was uncomfortable and worrying. My chiro told me my legs were hypersensitive because the nerves were irritated. My pelvis was rotated and my leg length was out by 2inches! He also said i had a tiny bit of scoliosis (which surprised my seeing as though he had never mentioned this in 6 years and I've never noticed such a thing about myself) - i know a friend who has scoliosis and can't make the comparison.

I am studying to do nursing at university and i am almost half way through my studies. My course requires its students to do placement at hospital every week and i have had to stop this for the moment due to my back pain and the risk placement places for exacerbating it. I am seeing a physio at the moment and am doing exercises to strengthen the muscles around my spine, as he believes the shape of my lower spine is the cause of all this. He has told me that if i had scans done it would not show up anything due to my age and the fact that it would have to be pretty serious to be able to visualize.

I'm worried about my future, do i defer uni or do i continue with the risk that it could make it worse? I need to make this decision soon. The pain in my legs comes and goes but is worse at night when laying in bed. The other day i had 8 hours of constant sharp pain in my calf. Numb feet worries me even more! I'm not sure if it is improving at all. I feel as if i am just too sensitive but yet the pain is frustrating and is always on the back of my mind! Am i stressing over nothing?

Apologies for the length!! :)

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you advice and answer what questions we can.. i am so glad you stopped by! =D> of course anything i say is only my opinion but i would be very careful of using a chiro without some kind of scan of your spine.. :? you have pain which should be looked at by a DOCTOR!!! pain is a signal that something is wrong and doing things to our backs with your pain can be very serious. you may need bed rest or medication!! so i am just worried about you!! :D some of us here are not favorites of chiro. please make some decisions to help your pain. you are at important part of your career and need to carry on! my sister studied for her RN and i know of the stress if puts on the body!! ~X( having pain makes it so difficult to do anything!! i am sure others will stop by with their experiences and advice. i am here for you! and you are not silly, you have pain! :D Jenn :)
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hey Kym,
    You do indeed have some concerns. Tingling and numbness usually means nerve impingement and this is something that needs to be addressed. From what I know now through experience I would have your primary care physician refer you to someone who can find the source of your problem. It does not always mean major surgery but if you do not adddress this numbness issue it could result in permanent nerve damage. I know because I waited too long and now I just have to deal with it.
    Don't pull the plug on your career hopes, you may be surprised after you get to the root of your spinal symptoms that you will feel like a new person. But for now I would cool it with the chiropractor until you have an MRI.
    My lower back problems started at a very young age such as yourself but was not diagnosed properly till later on. Be persistant in finding the source of your back pain, you need to take charge of your health, no one else will take
    care of that for you. Whatever it takes I hope you get the answers and relief that you deserve. Take care and keep us posted here of your results.