Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Alcohol withdrawal and chronic pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Chronic Pain
:''( :''( #o

Has any one had issues with Alcohol withdrawal and chronic pain??? MY pain is unreal right now. Im trying to cope has hard as i can with out losing my mind, im used to pain but this is over the top pain.

Some info about me:

"Preservation of lumbar lordosis

L4-L5 focal central disk herniation moderately deforms the thecal sack.

L5-S1 central disk herniation with extrusion centrally and inferiorly.
Results in moderate thecal sac compression."

Could some one help me better understand that? I have lived in fear of losing B/B functions.

Since that day i was given those results i now weight 255 and have much less pain but the past few days have been bad. Not so much classic sciatica pain but just crushing radiating back pain in the L4-L5 region.

I quit drinking about 3 days ago dude to diabetes and HBP, was a drinking about 8 pints of beer a day for 15 years non stop.

• I have only taken one ultram in the past week, i have more of a fear of pills do to other issues. Im trying to stick it out but this pain just keeps getting worse. I absolutely know and admit im an alcoholic, i just want know if any one else has had pain get worse in a situation like this.
  • You need to be on the watch for increasing and or spreading pain, increasing or new numbness, difficulty starting/stopping/ or going to urinate or defecate. If you develop what is called saddle numbness ( the parts of your body that would come into contact with a saddle if you were riding a horse) happens, then you need to be seen at an ER or by your surgeon right away, and that does not mean days or weeks later.
    As far as the pain meds and drinking alcohol goes, you can not and should not drink and take your pain medications. Is your PM aware of your abuse of alcohol? If he is, and he prescribed you pain meds, then he shouldn't have, and if you weren't honest with him, then you need to be.
    Best of luck to you,
    Sandi M
  • I agree with everyone, and you know we're only trying to help you. Don't worry about anybody judging you; that's not what we're here for. I'm worried about the withdrawals you'll have when you stop drinking, and you may experience hellified shakes. They have a medicine called Librium to help with that and the withdrawal process.

You will need professional help to successfully treat your disease. It is hard, relapses are common, but it worth it in the end. I don't know about approaching your pain doctor with this; there may be repercussions since things are so strict and everybody is drug testing. When I have my urine screens, they even check for alcohol use. Yeah, it's like that but at least I'm not dragged in for pill counts.

I wish you the very best on this long journey ahead of you and pray that you can put this behind you. I think it's brave and courageous of you to ask for help, and this is a very important step. Take care Mars
  • I made it 6 days no booze so im good, my mortal fear is Cauda Equina Syndrome and i feel like i live with it about to happen and day. In 2005 when i was told my discs were this bad and that Cauda Equina Syndrome was a possibility that made me drink even more and more.

Does stress make the sciatica act up for any of you guys? Some days im ok with pain but the last few days sciatica was back bad after a long break and i also had major pain in the center of my back. Today almost no sciatica but now the pain is coming back.
  • I am sorry I can't answer any of your questions. But I do want to wish you the best of luck. Hang in thare my friend.

Sending you a hug... >:D<
    Patsy W
  • Mars,
    I posted the symptoms of Cauda Equina Syndrome for you to watch out for. If you start experiencing most of them, you need to be seen by your surgeon or an ER that knows what the heck it is and how to diagnose it.
    I live with the aftereffects of it, so I know what your fears are, just be careful and watchful. And stay away from the alcohol, and don't use more of the pain meds than you are supposed to.
    Hang in there,
This discussion has been closed.