Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Still Hurting 3 Months after a Micro Discectomy/Hemi Laminectomy at L-5

SlancastvaSSlancastva Posts: 43
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Lower Back Pain
I have a micro discectomy/hemi laminectommy performed on March 3, 2009 by an othropedic surgeon. I am still hurting in my lower back from L-5 into my lower spine and my left buttock. The doctor stated the burning itching pain in my buttock is the sciatica nerve healing. I have seen him on April 7, May 7 and May 28, 2009. I informed him on all 3 visits that I still have the above mentioned pain plus when my left heel touches the ground I feel pain in my lower back, problems sitting for any length of time, and random shards of pain running up my lower spine when I might move certains ways like taking a drink out of the refrigerator or putting something back. He has put me on vicodin for pain, cortizone and neuotin. I am scared to take the neurotin. He has not offered to run an mri. I am scared something else is going on. I do not have any problem with my left leg anymore. Has anyone had these symptons/problems and what did you do. Do I need to see a neurosurgeon?

Thank you for your time.

• Slancastva,
    I had a lumbar lamenectomy L5 S1 and removal of a synovial cyst that had attached itself to my sciatic nerve. After the surgery, the pain was 95 % gone. I went back to my NS June 5th and at that time I was having sporadic muscle spasms down my left leg. He said that was the nerve healing and it would take 4-6 more months to heal. Since then the pain has increased and I have additional pain. The pain in my leg is constant, burning, aching, throbbing pain. I cannot lift my leg to get dressed and sometimes when I walk, it just goes out on me. I also have constant throbbing pain at my tailbone making it impossible to sit for longer than 30 minutes. I am unable to lift my purse without pains shooting up my back. My NS prescribed me Neurotin and Vicodin. Neither are helping. I have requested another appt (July 13th) and am going to request / insist on another MRI. I would think the pain would gradually be getting better, not worse.
This discussion has been closed.