Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

thoracic fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in New Member Introductions

My name is cheryl and I am new to this forum. I am 43 years old, married and have two children. I had a thoracic four level fusion six months ago. I had a tumor on the inside of my spine growing into my chest. The tumor turned out to be benign and I am thankful for that. They were able to get to it by a posterior incision only so I did not need a chest tube or anything. I had to go to St. Louis for the procedure. That was an 8 hour drive for us. Had a bad time with the intraveinous narcotics. They had to take my pain pump away and that was not a good experience. I am doing okay now. I am still taking perocet once a day in order to work. I also take flexeril twice a day. I still have alot of pain. I am working six hour days now. That is all I can handle. I am encouraged by many of the stories on this forum. It is comforting to know their are others going through this. I am sure I will learn so much from this forum

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. it sounds like you are not having the easiest recovery possible. ~X( i hope with time it gets better for you. six hours a day seems like a lot of work when you are not feeling so well!! :? i hope you find some comfort being around others who are feeling as you do. :D please drop by anytime!! good luck and take care of yourself! :D Jenny :)
  • Hello Cheryl -

After reading your story, I wonder if you didn't endure some permanent nerve damage because of the spinal tumor??? Sometimes that type of thing isn't apparent to Doc's until the correlating symptoms are relayed to them, so let them know ASAP. Being that you're still in a good deal of disabling pain, there has to be a reason for it and getting to the bottom of the cause is going to be important.

I would ask your Doc for a referral to a pain management physician, whom in turn will order the necessary x-rays, MRI's or CAT scans to obtain a diagnosis. Aside from that, your pain meds should make life do-able until your able to better address the under-lying physical issues.

Take care and be good to yourself -

• Thanks for the responses. I will let the doctor know all the different symptoms I am having. I see my surgeon for the first time since my surgery June 17th. I have been in touch with his nurse over the phone. I can't wait to hear the words you are fused. I know that can take up to a year. I sure hope he can tell me if everything is normal at this stage. I hope I can start some exercises soon. They told me to only walk until they see me in June. I am afraid to do anything with my back until he looks at more x-rays. Can you pretty much do everything once you are fused? I hope to get active again.