Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Rediculous 3 laps in a small pool and my back is killing me

MaggiePMMaggieP Posts: 349
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Chronic Pain
It was 95* here today. So I went to the pool at my Condo. It's small, but feels so wonderful. At the end of last summer I could swim 10-12 laps without getting sore, just tired. I swam 3 laps today, was exhausted, my neck and shoulders hurt, and now my lower back and legs are screaming ouch ~X( Swimming is the only exercise I can do. Does anyone know how fast stenosis progresses? Have been trying to get another MRI of my lower back, it's been almost 2 years now, and the insurance company keeps denying it.24 weeks of PT last winter did nothing except drain my wallet. I may have to take extra pain pills tonight, just to get some sleep. The hot packs aren't helping, I should probably get my TENS on, but hate to stand up to go get it, but will after I post this. What is a person to do? Just whining, sorry about that. Hope everyone else is doing better than I am tonight. Take care.

• swimming is my salvation and i feel for you so much on this one ..like you i love swimming but since the flare up {that i think has come from me swimming} i have been so ill i have hardley been able to move from my chair unlike you i dont have a private pool {most people in the UK dont } but i am a member of the local pool and i love swimming .i wanted to go today but after yet another bad night i have been on my recliner all day again!!!!!!!!!!! i hope that you feel better soon and can start swimming again .i want to get wet again soon too good luck keep taking the pain meds!STRAKER
  • I totally understand! When I finally feel good enough to get out of the house, I shower, and it takes so much out of me that I sometimes end up not going out. Doing the tiniest things can take such a big toll on us. I think that everyone's back problems progress at their own rate, but I agree that it's time for another MRI. Why is your insurance denying it? I'd start the appeals process and complain to anyone at the company who will listen! Keep asking to speak to managers and supervisors, the workers will usually tell you they're busy, just tell them you'll wait. They will try to give you the run-around, and believe me, they're great at it, but you deserve to have a new MRI every year. Will your doctor fight for you? I know how hard this all is, and I'm always here to lend an ear! Don't EVER feel bad about venting, most of us can completely relate... I'm actually about to go take one of those dreaded showers so I can run some errands. My goal is to stand for the entire shower, haha! I hope your pain flare is soon over!!! Maybe try walking in the pool next time, it's great exericse for us spineys and it's not too hard on the neck. Or, as someone previously posted, get a snorkel so you can breathe without having to turn and strain your neck. Take breaks between laps too... Please be kind to yourself! >:D<

Much love and understanding,
  • i forced myself to go for a swim today {its been unusually hot over here in the uk} and i did not want to spend another day on my recliner .but its now 12am i have been in bed for 2 hours and yes you guessed it i am up again with mega back ache .we just carnt win can we!! most of us are only in out 40s and that's young these days in my mind i still feel like 18 i just want my life back but my back has other ideas! give us strength i thing that chronic back pain is an unseen disease and we deserve a better shot at life
  • Even though swimming isn't really "high impact", I think you still have to be pretty careful with the WAY in which you're swimming. Keep in mind that full-on front stroke, butterfly, etc. laps are EXTREMELY demanding on your body's muscles, and moves around your joints quite a bit. Take a look at a swimmer's body... That doesn't come from taking a relaxing kick around the pool. :)

You might want to just start the season off with some quick walking in the shallow end, or grab some of the "water weights" that are out there and move into the deep end for no-impact exercise. You can get some good sets that have a belt to keep you submerged but still floating, and some accessories for both ankles and "weights" for your hands...

• Lisa, my PCP, filled out paperwork twice, saying a new MRI was medically necessary. They still denied it. I appealed, and "their" dr say it wasn't necessary appeal denied. Funny about that, he's never seen me. Will try again this year.
    Old age is h*ll.

Straker, glad you got a swim in, but sorry you are paying for it. I have decided to weight enjoyment of life on one hand vs. the pain I will get from doing it on the other. I know whatever I do will likely cause me pain, so I just figure out how badly I want to do it. Sorry you can't sleep.

Brihtwulf... I usually do side stroke, or breast stroke. Swam two laps on Sunday, and just floated around some. On Monday my pectoral muscles, neck, and shoulders hurt. Haven't been able to swim any this week as it cooled down some. Hopefully this weekend can get in a little workout. I have been trying to find one of the exercise belts that hold you up in the water, any idea where I might find one? Thanks you all for the replies.

• I'm in the same situation as you. You probably don't swim enough, so every session in the pool is like starting all over. With all your disk problems, I think you will find that swimming on your back is the best stroke for you. With breast stroke you are putting too much strain on your neck. (at least, that's what I've been told) Also be sure to change stroke every lap...maybe between backstroke and side stroke. You want to avoid any repetitive movements and mix it up as you swim.

Regarding the belt, I found mine on the internet. Just look for "aqua therapy products" and a number of companies that sell the belts, the hand things, etc. will display.

Just remember to be gentle with yourself.!!

xx Gwennie
This discussion has been closed.