Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Numbness starting to worry me

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Chronic Pain
I had my CT/Myelo for my lumbar and cervical spine last Wednesday . I came home and went to bed, but when I woke up later that day, I noticed EXTREME, rubbery feeling numbness on the outside of my left hip joint. I thought it may have been an effect of the dye injection, so I waited until Thursday, and called my NS, whose assistant told me it was probably nothing to worry about, but if it continued next week, talk to the NS about it during my follow up next Wed.

The following day (Friday) I decided to double check with the radiologist to make sure it was "normal", but they said it was a new one, they had never heard anything like that happening.

Soooo, I did what most people did, I googled it... but the answer I got from my NS and what they say online were two different things, so I decided not to worry, and wait. Well, yesterday, I noticed it was spreading down my leg, and today its reached well into my thigh, just in a line (starts out over the hip joint, pretty large area, but narrows as it travels down my thigh)

This is really freaking me out, I can stick a pin through my skin and feel NOTHING. Even though I have multiple locations that get numb, tingling, etc, I have never had this kind of numbness for so long.

Sorry this is so long, but I'm curious, has anyone ever had anything like this happen? Could it be from a misplaced needle during the dye injection?

It's crazy, when you have as many problems as most of us do, every little thing becomes more of a reason for us to worry, and I am truly tired of worrying! ~X(

• One thing I forgot to mention: the pain sense is gone, but I can feel hot/cold... so wth?
  • I'm not much help, but wanted to reply anyway. I have not had this happen. Try not to worry. I don't think there is anything a doctor could do at this point, if you were to go to the ER...so try to relax till tomorrow when you can call the NS's office.

Where did they place the injection? Did you take a a look at a dermatome chart to see if your numbness follows a specific dermatome path? Or if it is more random? Does it go below your thigh?

Try not to worry. I know that's easy for me to say...sorry. Have you tried walking or doing some sort of exercise on the leg?It is possible the nerve was nicked, but I don't know where the injection was placed....
  • Thanks, Gwennie. >:D<

I think they placed the injection at L2. And I tried the dermatome, but has anyone else noticed they are all slightly different? The numbness seems to span over more than one area of the one I looked at, include l2-3-4, so who knows? I stretch every day, and do a bit of Yoga exercises, but not as much lately due to the headaches I've been getting.

I will try to relax, and I think I'll bring it up at my PM appointment tomorrow, see what he has to say about it, if I still get the "don't worry", I'll do just that and bring it up at my NS appointment. But, as you know, it's hard to not worry sometimes! :/
This discussion has been closed.