Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help...Scared about upcoming 3 level cervical surgery w/bone graft & plate

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Pain Management
I had a c5-c6 c6-c7 ADCF 13 years ago w/cadever and I have continued to have pain in neck & arms w/numbness since and I was always told i had a solid fusion following the surgery. I always complained and drs. would never give me pain meds! 1 1/2 years ago an MRI again said it was solid. Currently I suffer SEVERE neck pain,arm pain, numbness & tingling in arms & legs. In October 2008 I woke up with no feeling in my leg and fell, which prompted me to pressure drs. to have additional MRI's and Catscans to get to the bottom of it. It was just revealed Large Lucency's straight across & failed fusion amongst the other osteophytes and end plate damage, etc. I sought 3 surgerical opinions and have been told that c5-c6 cadever bone was rejected from my body and is no longer there, c6-c7 is not a solid fusion and I also have cord compression on c4-c5 as a result of this. I can't believe that the Radiologists' overlooked this all these years. I am scheduled for surgery 6/10 for a 3 level c4c5,c5c6,c6c7 ADCF w/Titanium Plate and autograft from my iliac crest(hip). I'm scared! Surgeons can't beleive that I have had no bone & failed fusions for 13 years...and neither can I. The surgeon I chose for the surgery said it will be complicated, tough and I will have extraordinary pain in the hip amongst the other pain & discomfort from the surgery. If anyone has ever had the hip allograft I'd like to find out the timeframe for the progression of recovery. Will I need a hospital bed at home? A walker? Any other suggestions? Does anyone remember how long it was before they could go upstairs? Did they have to go to a rehab hospital after the surgery? I have a son at home who will be in school... so will I need to arrange to have someone with me all the time? I would like to hear from anyone who might have some knowledge or experience with this type of surgery.
Sorry this is so long it is my first post, any help is appreciated.

• I am so sorry! What a shame, you have to yell until someone listens!!! I wish the best of luck and only hope this time it's successful! No one should have to go through that and be written off. I am glad you did pursue the help you need.

I'm going for ACD at the end of the month, did you look into that? They don't take bone from your hip. It's just a thought so you don't have to go through more pain. If you do need the ACDF then make sure your surgeon is the best. Good Luck to you and just know I'm scared too. You're not alone.