Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

After 7 months, now suspected MS

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello Everyone,

I've posted a good few times on here, regarding neckpain, arm pain, and for the last 2 months, leg heaviness, weakness and pins and needles.

I have now been to one of the top London Hospital Centres for Neurosurgery and Neurosciences, and after a lengthy examination by a neurosurgeon (2 in fact) have been told that the cervical discs are NOT categorically causing the symtoms.

I have become Ataxic, with a broad based unsteady gait, and have positive Babinski reflexes. Now also having some bladder problems

Am now waiting to go and see a Neurologist instead, in veiw of the Neurosurgeons findings.

Still in 'Limboland' and ech day and night seems to bring some new symptom! It's almost a lottery as to what I may wake up to each morning !

I wish all or you the very best luck in the world, and my thanks to all of you who have posted replies to me during tha past 6 monnths.

MS?? Thought, that at 50, I was too old for this, but it seems I have been labelled 'suspected MS)

• I'm 55, had fusion on my L5 after Waiting 7 yrs!! When I had the surgery the 1st thing the Dr told me was I don't know if you're going to be able to walk!!! Since then I've been hit with a Multitude of smyptoms. Heavy and Very painful legs--ALWAYS!! Then it became my arms feeling heavy & Uncooperative. I have drop-foot in both feet & legs really get to aching. Stinging feet are there all the time as well.

My friend down the street has MS, we have such similar symptoms it's just to strange of a coinidience(sp?).

I know my PC that's now treating me has All but given up on figuring me out. I take Klonopin, oxycodone & Lyrica...It isn't cutting it anymore?!?!
    I feel desperate!! I finally picked up a electric wheelchair for those growing times I Just Can't walk!! It's freaking me out....

Soooo...Now I'm wondering & trying to my my own research on why I'm feeling this way??

Some other symptoms I've been experiencing are numbness & tingling (pretty severe) in my extramities. A lack of control with my bladder. My sensitivity to heat is Crazy!!! I want to sleep a Lot. Lordy, I could go on...

Has anybody else gotten MS from surgery??

Thanks for hearing my story :~(
  • i think you need to get some info from a dr more knowledgeable with the spine. the gp dr may not have enough knowledge. i am more concerned now that you mention urine troubles. pressure on the lower spine nerves can cause that. i dont want to scare you but if pressure is severe enough emergency surgery is sometimes necessary. i would see a spinal surge0n immediately . he can both check your spine and check for ms.
    please move quickly on this...
  • I haven't seen you around for a while. It is good to see you posting again, but not with the concerns you have.

I'm a little surprised they don't think it is coming from your c-spine. I have many of those same symptoms, and the cause is from my neck. Have you had a lumbar mri to make sure everything is okay there?

I hope you get to the bottom of it soon, and no matter what the diagnosis, that you can get some help.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Hiya Scully,

After 4 years of back/leg pain & sciatica, every doc along the way saying I have the spine of a 25 year old (I'm 41 BTW).

Docs told me Tuesday that they are officially testing to confirm a diagnosis of MS, they finally actually came out and said that's what they think I have.

Good luck in your quest for treatment
  • Awww Jay and Scully, I feel for you. Sometimes it takes so long to come to this diagnosis.

Off and on, over the past 10 years, they have entertained whether or not I have MS as well. At this time in my journey, I don't have MS and who knows if they will entertain that diagnosis again.

Best wishes.......

• I know it doesn't provide much comfort, but DAANG that stinks! I had a friend that was dx with MS in his 30's and that was quite a blow to him and his wife. My heart goes out to you both.

• I hope your doctor(s) have told you somewhere along the way that MS is a diagnosis of elimination. There is no test which can definitively diagnose MS. You can be presumed to have it when you have the symptoms of MS and no other cause can be determined. I hope the neurologist you see orders tests which can give you a less frightening diagnosis and recommendations to resolve your problems! :) >:D<

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    then to take away from what another member initiated. Every member should be able to post their situation and gather results.
    I was very curious about your signature line. Maybe its because I didnt read into correctly.
    You said you were injured in 2001, waited 8 years for surgery but have now been out of surgery for 3 years.

2001 + 8 years = 2009 + 3 years = 2012

I guess I am just confused.
    As I said if you are looking for your own answers vs providing input to another member's situation, it is probably best served to start your own.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Sorry to hear about your suspected MS diagnosis. I was reading the other posts and I'd always thought that MS had a definite signature of lesions in the brain or spinal cord that can be seen on an MRI?? I'm still learning about it. I've also read somewhere that a reading of low uric acid in your blood can be indicative of MS. I have some strange symptoms that seem to be some kind of muscle myalgia that comes and goes.

Hopefully the neurologist you see can rule things out for you. I just wanted to say hi, and wish you the best.
  • Please do NOT give up! There are many, MANY new therapies for MS and many people live for years in relatively good health following the diagnosis. The right drug may put you in remission and you just might feel better that if you had spine surgery. MS is now considered a chronic condition, not an acute one.