Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgical Consult at UPMC Wednesday-what ?'s to ask

sinatrafan44ssinatrafan44 Posts: 64
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi.I need a bit of advice on what I should be asking the surgeon with my first consult appt on Wednesday..A little history..8 months ago i had a serious MVA, side impact luckily not on my side, but it was about 40+ MPH and totaled my car..My diagnosis was central cord syndrome and whiplash but I was also found to have stenosis and arthritis. In the report it was stated changes most prominent at C5-C6, C6-C7 with central cervical stenosis at C5-C6 C6-C7 measuring 8-9 mm of SAC and question of mild cord signal change..Significant Hyperreflexia was noted in my upper and lower extremities. I was hospitalized for three days and given high doses of steoroids..After that I was sent home and in a rigid collar for 6 weeks then therapeutic massage..After massage I had a few weeks of PT...I then started having sharp pain in my left arm..They repeated MRI's and x-rays..New MRI showed about the same spurring and disc bulging seen at C4-5, C5-6, C6-7, facet joint athropathy at c5-6 c6-7 ...Compromise of the right c6-7neural foraman. Put me on gabapentin along with the oxycontin I have been taking for pain since the accident...I was then sent to a pain mgmt doc and he upped the gaba to 2700mg, added baclofen, and still 30-40 mg of oxy a day..Went for more PT, and tried accupuncture. My hands are numb now 24/7, get pain in my arms now and then and have little ROM in my neck and pain in my neck and shoulders..I have also tried traction and electro stim with no relief..It has been 8 months, I think I am ready for a surgical consult...Any thoughts or ideas...sorry so long...Amy

• Well I met with my surgeon and he is doing surgery on June 9th, in his busy schedule he had a cancellation so I decided after 8 months of suffering I was ready to give this a try...Anybody willing to share their experiences with me...I'm really scared but also relieved...He is doing the corpectomy reconstructed with titanium cage packed with autograph...This seems to be maybe a "newer" way of doing this..I don't know...I'd appreciate any thoughts..thanks in advance...Amy