Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

yet another *yawn* tune

Jim_LJJim_L Posts: 189
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Depression and Coping
Well, yesterday was a 'good day' as I finished recording this in the morning then managed to scrub the bathroom, vacuum the house, beat the cats, do the dishes and laundry and pick up the dog poo in the yard and fling it at innocent passersby. Not all at once tho' which was a shame - I must be getting old...;>)

And then i spent the rest of the evening not moving much and getting yelled at by my wife (she was home sick) for doing too much. Go figure...?

Anyways, here's a slow sappy tune written back in 1991.
I 'played' the drums using my synth as it has drum sounds. Each 'drum' has an assigned 'ivory key' on the synth so I had to play each drum/cymbal separately (boy, that was fun - say that again with lots of deadpan sarcasm...;>). My timing is OFF!!!!!!!!!!
Must've been the meds...;>)

It's about 4 megs. it should be an 'energetic' tune but it just seems dead to me. Nothing a real band couldn't fix i suspect.

• Sorry I didn't answer sooner-last few days have been a little rough- as usual you have generously shared your talents with the big wide world. I know that your songs definately help make my days a little brighter- could have been my meds but I thought there was a haunting undertone to the song. Anyway thank you-Hugs n' Loves - Paula
  • That's ok, I'm recovering too! I'm glad I help even if it's just a smile (they make the world go around you know!).

I actually was getting quite comfy yesterday when a dark evil riff entered my head (go figure) and I started working on a tune for the Tavern sequel. I have some lyrics written that may fit - well, when I'm done, they WILL fit - they have no choice!

The tune is called 'Deep In The Forest' sung by the female storyteller so I'm going for dark and chilly.
    I usually wind up doing lite & fluffy so it'll be a bit of a challenge. I can hear Dio singing it in my head - or Petula Clark, so I know it'll be dark...;>)
  • Well, I called my big brudder yesterday and asked him if he'd like to make a video (he's setup for that sorta thing, bluescreen and lotsa cameras. It's one of his hobbies).

It's been something I've wanted to try for awhile but hey, I'm not the cutest face in the neighborhood!
    he said yes, so i'll be heading over his place in 2 weeks (if it's a good day that is!) and make a video of 'Rainbows'. I've almost completely redone the song:

It's 'better' than the other version which is now deleted. We're gonna have a 'background' of either my Tavern model or the actual set (the main room) with 3 of me, all sitting. One in the middle singing and another on each side playing guitar & bass.

It'll probably wind up looking like a scene from the land of the Lost tv series...;>)
    I must be mad...
    It could be the meds...?
  • Who could have guessed that the despair that brought me to this site on the boards would have treated me to your lovely music. Thank you. Susan
  • Your very welcome Susan! It's kind comments like yours that help me get through making these recordings.

Btw, i redid the song (again) with the same filename/link as above (me brudder complainted dat the singin' was too low...:). I redid the vox (3 part harmony more or less) and the orchestra and remixed it.

It never ends! Tomorrow i'm gonna redo the bass drum & snare on their own separate tracks so's I can deal with the sound & EQ for them better.

hm,.. 'for them better', what wonderful grammer I's has gots...;>)
  • I've been reading your posts with interest and was impressed with the recording. I'm 6 months or so post op PLIF and having a tougher time of it than I ever anticipated. People on this forum are helping me "hang tough" and I'm passing it on. To you.

On the music side, although I am much older than you, I have the most perfect 1969 Gibson 6 string country western and an Ovation 12 string that is about a 1980! So I do understand a little about music. (You would be impressed at my ability to transpose on the fly). And I also understand a little about your musical, creative personality. You feel things pretty intensely and you are going through so much. I'm sorry that you are.

Keep your music up and keep posting. There are probably 10 or 20 people for evey one reply that you get, perhaps more, who are reading your posts and being blessed by them. Sharing your story brings healing to others.

And as far as cleaning your house is concerned.....I have a thing about cleaning. My hub and I own our business but every Friday, like clockwork, I take half a day to clean our house. I tell people that it helps me "order my universe" and I have to clean. Weird huh? I'm sure your wife appreciates your contribution but my hub reacted the same way. They love us and want to protect us.

Keep up the music. You've inspired me to go upstairs and take my dear Gibson out of the case and do a little fret work.

Thinking of you fondly. Even if I am old enough to be your mom! Moms are cool, too ;) Kathy
  • Yer much older than me??? Yer only 56.... a far cry from being my mothers age (80 when she passed away a few years ago)!
    I'm 47 (and catching up to you fast!)

It's good that your playing the guitar, never stop!
    I must say though that the weather here in NH has been mostly rain (bane, inflame, pain, strain, complain...) of late and not much fun.

I'm hoping to go to my brothers this week and attempt a simple video but haven't finished the newer version of 'Rainbows' yet, I'm falling way behind. Stupid weather!

That and playing with my daughters new kitten, i'm not built to roll on the floor anymore! Well, i can roll on the floor, it's just getting back up that's the problem!

Now my son (18) wants to join the reserves as he's no direction after graduation, mainly because he can't get full time hours at the local Agway.
    It's always something (except winning the lottery...:>0

• Hopefully the final version.

My ears are burnt...;>)
    The drum playing (by hand on the synth) came out a little better though I'm not too happy with the bass drum sound (from the synth).
    I recorded the snare & bass drums on separate tracks this time.

I'll be getting a new drum machine power supply later on this week so future drums should sound better I hope...

Now to make the video... wish me luck!
  • You are SO talented!

It must be so nice to have something to take your mind off things for a while.

My 17 year old has a program for the computer and he composes music. His is mostly classical type stuff. He wants to do this for a living - either teach music, play in an orchestra (which he has done 2 years), compose screenplays or all 3. He plays sax, flute, piccolo, bassoon and piano. Musical talent is awesome. I love to hear him play piano whilest I am on the computer... He plays alot by ear as well...

• Thank you for your comment but I've still got a long way to go before I become talented. It's just the only hobby I have left that doesn't require more than sitting for extended periods of time (or standing when singing) and that's enough most days!

As for your 17 y/o, I could use his talents! Move to NH...;>)
    Bring pizza...;>)
  • Talent, much like pain, is so subjective.

The way I see it - anyone who can take a blank page and put together little symbols and words and MAKE something creative is TALENTED.

Stop selling yourself short! ALSO, it's great to have hobbies. I used to shoot pool on a tournament league. But then I quit because of my back...

• I loved to play pool! I know what you mean and i'm sorry that was taken away from you. I hope you've found something else that you loved to do as much!

As for me being talented, wait until you see the video I shot at my brothers today. I look very scary, like a bleached & pale bloated blind underground eel that's never seen the light of day and my long hair (which I cut short when I got back home) makes me look like my pic should be hanging on the FBI wanted wall at the post office!

Honestly, i never thought I looked THAT bad!
    But my wife says I look like a guy again and I'm a few pounds lighter tho' the back of my neck is very cold now...;>)
  • That's hilarious! Hope you share this video!

The pool league was great. We won several trips to Las Vegas to play in the National Pool League Association where the grand prize for first place was $10,000. The best we'd ever done was place 10th out of about 200 teams. Not bad, but no money... Just bragging rights. Which I do as often as possible! Our hotel and air fare was paid (plus entry fee). But, once we started drinking... well, we got sloppy.. At least I did. Luckily, my coach was understanding and so much fun to be around.

It was so funny. My mom used to tell me "You'll never find the man of your dreams in a pool hall". Well, guess what? THat's EXACTLY where he found me! I didn't like him at first - he was pretentious and full of himself. He was ranked 3rd in the state in 9 ball. But I got tired of running from him and finally went on a date with him. And the rest is wedded history!

Well, thanks for bringing up those memories for me. What fun I had! I hope you have a great day!

• That's cool, you meet your soulmate in the most unlikely places...;>)
    And you had something in common!
    I met my wife at a 7-11 convienience store (she worked there at the time).

Here's another laugh for you, my brother made a composite pic of the 3 'me's' of what the video will be. The background is a pic from my tavern play.

I went back yesterday to redo the 'middle' me since I had a haircut. It didn't do any good, I'm still scary and pale like a dead fish... tiny untrustworthy eyes too...;>)

You can see the bits of green background around the figure edges as his cloth backdrop was very wrinkly and wasn't very big so I had to sit close to it and there were shadows we couldn't get rid of.
    Too many bloopers too as I kept forgetting the words!