Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lump and headache

greasyggreasy Posts: 19
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a discectomy 2 weeks ago and I had some minor swelling and redness before my staples being taken out at day 12. Now I have a massive bulge, about the size of a baseball, at my insiscion site. On top of this I have a massive headache 24/7. I am wobbly and bounce off the walls, anyone else heard of this.

• ...would be my guess, based on my own unfortunate experience...massive 24/7 headache & bluge @ incision were also my "clues"...mine began 1 week out of my lammy for the cyst/tumor....

But don't listen to me--CALL YOUR DOCTOR NOW!!!

~Lakeside (see my signature)
  • Have you called your doctor?? You don't want to mess around and end up with a bad infection. What is going on is not typical.
  • I would guess CSF leak or infection!!
  • same as everyone else. call the doctor now!!!!!!!!! not normal and potentially harmful. take care.
  • So this swelling is still there and my family docter diagnosis a dural tear and my neurosurgeon said if i had a dural leak he would have put it in his notes. So I lose my sciatic pain and get headaches, ringing in my ears, and dizziness. I conclude I would rather have the sciatic pain, thats how much these headaches hurt, having to lay down most of the day to keep them somewhat at bay. Life sucks again.
  • Even the best neurosurgeons can and do miss CSF leaks. Some leaks are slow and build up over a few days. Some leaks can be caused by sharp edges that the NS may have missed. If your NS refuses to help, you may need to consider seeing another NS. Many of us have suffered from CSF leaks and they are no fun. They can however be repaired and the relief is near instantaneous.

• I wouldn't accept your NS not addressing your CSF leak! I had one post op and the headache was miserable! My NS had sewed up my leak while I was on the OR table b/c he realized he had nicked it. It took about 3 days for the headache to reduce, but if yours continues, then they need to FIX it!! I would bug the crap out of them until they address it! There's no reason for you to be in pain when it can be cured! Hope you feel better!!
  • He just says see me in a month, hoping it goes away on its own. Easy for him to say, if he had this it would have been fixed right away. After that month is up I am going to bug the crap out of him like you say. He denies there is a leak though, and he would have to open me back up to see whats going on. I don't believe he meant that as he could easily run tests or scans to figure it out.
  • Waiting a month is a bit extreme if you do have a CSF leak. Just my opinion. There are ways to confirm the leak other than opening you up again, but depending on the extent of the possible leak it may require reopening the incision to repair the dura. A bloodpatch can be done without reopening the incision, but once again it depends on the extent. An MRI can show the fluid build up and location it is pooling in, but not necessarily the source. A CT myleogram can assist in showing the source in some instances.

When I had this happen the NS was able to determine instantly if it was CSF leaking, simply by drawing the fluid out with a syringe. The pain and headache went away nearly instantaneous and the fluid was tested to determine it was CSF.

Sorry you are suffering so.