Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower Back Pain into left leg

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in New Member Introductions
I'm a 39 year old female who was involved a car accident back in the beginning of December. I have had two MRI's the most recent one was on Friday. The findings were L5-S1 broad based posterior disc protrusion with associated posterior annulat tear as well as the disc being desiccated.
I have tried P.T. but was recently taken out of it because of the possibility it was hurting more than helping. I have also had three spinal steroid injections. None have worked. The pain is sometimes off the charts. What options are left for treatment?

• what about a discogram to confirm the site as the pain generator? seems silly i know but theory is better to check out . have any meds ,patches etc worked. what helps you get comfortable. are you able to function? i would wait until i had to for surgery as a last ditch effort. i had exhausted everything and had to eventually have the adr flexicore ar l4-5 . it is a hard surgery and i am not pain free but i am better than i was. with meds and not overdoing it on activity i can function. good luck.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. this is a good time to find a doctor you trust and see what is available for you. :-C there is of course always alternative treatments such as massage and Yoga and meditation. =D> please don't get discouraged yet. you don't mention the use of medications either!! :? they can make a world of difference in you pain level and you life!! =D> good luck and keep your chin up! :D Jenny :)
  • Hello -

It sounds to me as though you've exhausted most every "conservative treatment" option, and I wouldn't be surprised if they'd want to do a nerve conduction study next...which usually proceeds a surgical intervention.

Remember that a surgeon will never tell you that you MUST have a surgery, but will only make recommendations...the final say and decision is ultimately yours.

I had the L5/S1 discectomy and fusion done back in 1991 and am so glad that I did...since doing so provided me with 17 solid years of relief and return of function. You might want to sit down with your PM Doc or surgeon (if you already have one), and ask them to detail what your options are at this point and how the best possible result can be achieved.

Best wishes to you and hopefully you get some answers and direction soon...wondering and waiting can be as bad as the pain sometimes!

• :))) I am going to see a nuero surgeon on the 22nd of this month. Perhaps he will suggest this or maybe I will ask about it. I take viocodin but that only dulls the pain minimally. I have been put on a steroid pack along with muscle relaxers but patches have not been tried as of yet. As far as functioning, everything is different now I can get by but my husband is out to sea for two weeks home for 2 days then back out to sea. This means it's for the most part me takling care of our 5 and 16 year old, 2 dogs and the house. Thanks so much for your advice I really appreciate it.