Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

question about different types of surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have a herniated C5-6 and my neurosurgeon said I could either do the posterior discectomy or a ACDF. The thought of surgery period scares me, but I am leaning towards the posterior approach because in theory it preserves the natural motion of the neck and I can avoid a fusion. Plus my research shows that the disc that is worked on only re-herniates 3-5% of the time. Additionally, with a small herniation at my C3-4 I am hopeful that this might not trigger the need for another procedure like fusions have been known to do.

Could someone give me some opinions on the two different surgeries for my condition and some thoughts on my logic.......
advertisement

Comments

• I was in the same boat as you regarding the decision for surgery. I had a C6-C7 posterior endoscopic decompression surgery. The surgery was a breeze the doc made a less than an inch incision in my neck and removed the disc herniation and osteophytes from the foramen. I am still recovering from it, I have some pain and numbness that persist he said it could take 2-4 months before i am pain free since the nerve was agitated during the surgery. They have to move the nerve out of the way in the posterior approach. He said I could still have fusion or ADR if it happens again. I saw no drawbacks from having this surgery. I saw research that said 3-5%, but other papers with up to 30% chance of recurrance. I am happy I did surgery, it was outpatient, and only neck discomfort for two weeks, I could drive right away. I am waiting for the pain to go away and to resume my normal life. I gained 30 lbs and lost some muscle strength on the left arm. Hoping i recover fully with no permanent damage. This is my opinion as to why I decided to go with Posterior minimally invasive approach. Good luck with your decision and feel free to PM me if you want more info.
    Rob