Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Been feeling lousy with a UTI...

TTLCTTTLC Posts: 876
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Chronic Pain
Hello to everyone...

I have been having a rough week and I sure miss posting on here. There are so many people I want to write to on these hew posts I have been viewing... but, I'm just too tired and sore right now. I will be much better soon and I'm anxious for that day. I miss you all bunches! =((

I found out that I have a urinary tract infection last Monday and started taking antibiotics right away. They are starting to kick-in, thank goodness, but I am ever so tired. I have been sleeping and sleeping. I do manage to pump the fluids, but have lost my appetite and eat very light meals and snacks.

My ribs have been really sore, in addition to my upper back and all the muscles. I am managing to do some stretching in bed throughout the day, but sometimes it is an effort... to just walk to the bathroom. The dizzy spells have subsided, which is a good thing.

Sure miss posting to everyone and look forward to getting updated with everyone real soon.

Thanks for listening. Each of you are always in my thoughts.

Much love to everyone,

• >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<

Hope you feel better soon.
  • be careful with uti's. I had one in February and was not aware of it. I had fevers which went away and i threw up which went away also. it came and went for a while. i saw one dr and he said i had stomach flu. then i went to my real dr and they tool blood and urine tests. they wanted to put me in hospital immediately. i was a day away from complete kidney failure and a couple of days away from dying according to my dr. they gave me injections and put me on massive anti biotics. long story short. i got better, but it took me almost 4 months to get completely well. i was very sick for a long period of time. stay on top of this. it can kill you if you don't. take all meds and get all tests that they want. i had a stone which contributed to infection. they took it out but you get blood clots which act like stones. i still had pain and blood in urine after they took out stone. i also got a lot of relapses with the uti. well now i am a lot better
    take care and good luck
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    that often when you are not feeling good. The best and most important thing is to take care of yourself.
    Once you do that and you bounce back to normal ( normal as we can be), then we look forward to seeing your posts again.
    As Jon said, urinary infections can be a bear. They are very painful and it seems that once you start to get them, they can come on very easy.
    Before the formal medication comes in, I've always looked to Cranberry Juice or Beer to help with the infection. I guess I prefer the Beer, maybe mixed with a little cranberry juice!
    Take care of your self.... That is first and top priority. We will see you when you get back.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I've been wondering about you and thank you for updating us.

UTIs really suck and I'm sorry you're going through this. But I'm really, really glad you're on antibiotics now and on the road to recovery. Don't worry about anything but getting better. Eat what you can, drink lots of water, take your meds and rest, rest, rest. And when you're done resting, rest some more.

We miss you but glad to hear things are under control.

Take care, my friend. We'll see you back soon.
  • Hey Girl, I have wondered where u were. I hope you are starting to feel better. Like pnueomonia, those UTI's suck. Like you told me, REST, Drink lots< Take it easy. I feel bad for you and hope you get over this quick.It sucks to be sick in the summer time. Hope you are feeling better. Hugs! >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • I'm glad you got antibiotics quickly, those can turn into kidney infections if not looked after promptly, and are that much worse!!! I hope you feel better soon, and that your other pain subsides as well!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Hugs, hugs, and more hugs! Lots of positive energy coming your way! Even a sloppy :* for good measure! Ok, fine, you can have as more, but only because you asked nicely! :* :* :* :D Please be super-kind to yourself and let your family take care of you while you rest and get well! I wish you a speedy recovery!!!

Much love,
  • Thanks everyone!

I really appreciate the hugs, the valuable input, the well wishes and those sloppy kisses! LOL!

I am feeling much, much better.

Beth... hugs right back to you. I read your post about school and was really bummed out for you. It's good to know that when you feel up to it, you can continue where you left off with your education. You will find something to keep yourself busy, while your taking a time-out. I know you will get your degree... just not as soon as you had hoped for. Your body needs some extra TLC for a little bit and that's okay. The time-out will enable you to feel much better physically. You will make a fantastic teacher... no doubt about that! Your heart is in the right place and our children need people like you in their day-to-day lives. You will get there, just as soon as your body says "Go!". Hope you have been feeling better over the situation. I think of you often! Take good care of you, k? >:D< >:D< >:D<

Jon - I so appreciate what you told me. When I wrote my post, I didn't have the energy to expand on having previous issues with my bladder and kidneys. Unfortunately, I have experienced similar situations as you have. Two years ago I was hospitalized twice in one year for kidney infections. Both times, I finished all of my prescribed antibiotics... but, they weren't strong enough. My first stay was for 5 days. I had a kidney stone, a rip-roaring infection and my right ovary had swollen and had cysts all over it. It was bizarre! I felt great after I got through that particular episode, but wound up 6 months later in ICU. I was at work and my lower back started hurting really bad. I felt like I was coming down with the flu and my fever was 103 when I got home. I started vomiting violently and went to the ER. I was admitted into ICU, as I was septic from another kidney infection. My blood pressure was 62/40 when I got to the hospital. I had to have a central line put in, so they could give me meds to bring my pressure up. It was miserable and I almost didn't make it. I was on a daily antibiotic for quite some time, but have been off of it since last September. My bladder and kidney history has completely escaped my thoughts, since my fall. Being on percocet which has tylenol in it... kind of masked the fevers I was having the past 2 weeks. I felt like I had the flu, but then realized it was more than that when I started feeling pressure when I urinated. I go back next week to drop off a urine sample to make sure the infection is gone. I'm wondering if I should switch to another break-through medication that doesn't have tylenol in it? I would then be able to know when I'm running a high fever. Any thoughts? I am glad to hear you have had a break from all that you went through with the kidney stones. How long have you been free of any bladder or kidney flare-up's? Hope you are doing a little better with your walking situation. Have you had an injection yet? I know you were thinking about having one rather soon. When I hear you speak about the principal at work, keep in mind that the woman is absolutely ignorant! Even if you actually brought one of your doctors in to visit with her... she still won't get it. I have found those type of personalities to be very unhappy people and they get their "jollies" off of trying to bring others down to their level. You should carry a cup of water with you and "accidentally" spill it on her, sometime. Ooopsy! Apologize afterwards and tell her you're just having one of your days. For some reason, I like to turn the absurd into harmless practical jokes.

Papa Ron - Thanks so much for your reply. Like you, I pump the cranberry juice and even have some chewable tablets I keep in my purse. Beer! Really? OMG... I haven't had a drink since my fall! That brought a huge smile to my face, as a beer sure would be tasty after my pool exercises! I live in Arizona and it is getting hotter than blazes these days. This weekend has been unusually pleasant, as we haven't reached over 100 degrees. Last week we were having 108 degree days. I am thankful for the warm/hot weather for my back, but you know... whenever that barometric pressure is falling... I feel it big time. I'm not sure how I'm going to monitor a possible recurrance of a UTI while being on the percocet with tylenol and would welcome any input. Like I stated to Jon, I take percocet with tylenol for my break-through pain. I'm wondering if I need another medication... one that doesn't have tylenol in it? I have my 2 month check-up with my NS on tomorrow and don't see my PM doctor until the 22nd of this month. I will mention it at tomorrow's visit and see what he suggests. Hope all is well with you. I always enjoy the new pictures you share with us! They are really cool. Thanks, as always, for your support. It means a lot. Best wishes to you for a wonderful week!

Cath - Thanks a bunch for your well wishes. How are you doing these days? I was so happy to read of the good day you had not too long ago. The one where your hubby asked how your day was and you said pretty good (or something along those lines). It ALWAYS is great to hear of our good days and any progresses. How is Wally? I bet he's loving life with his family. I am doing much better with the UTI and will drop off a specimen this week to make sure the infection is cleared. Take good care. >:D< >:D< >:D<

Iowarobin - Hey girl! How are you doing? Are the oral antibiotics kicking in and getting the pneumonia gone, gone, gone? I'm glad the IV's are over with... that was good news to hear. How are you feeling? I bet you are still a little tired and that's to be expected. Pretty soon you will be rid of the pneumonia and will be starting PT! Yay! I hope you enjoy it. I will be anxious to hear how it goes! Thanks, as always, for your thoughtfulness. Keep up the good work, my friend. >:D< >:D< >:D<

Smiley - Thank you! I am feeling much better. How are you doing??? How is work? I've read your posts and hope things are going better for you, regarding your significant other. You have so much on your plate right now. Is the anxiety okay these days? I think of you often and admire your strength and perseverence. You know you have a comforting place to vent on here and I'm glad you have joined our family. Best wishes for a great rest of the week. >:D< >:D< >:D<

Lisa - My love! How are you sweetness? Thank you for the kisses... love those sloppy ones... lol! Hey? Are you still planning to move here over the summer to be with your dad? I remember you saying that not too long ago. If I have missed a post of yours that talked about it... I am so sorry. How have you been feeling these days? Thanks a bunch for your love... sending love and kisses right back to you! :* >:D< :* >:D< :X

Thanks again everyone... so glad to be back!

When others are thinking of me, whether it is sending positive energy or praying... it makes a world of difference. It always comforts the heart and soul... and I love that warm feeling. O:)

• i have not had a relapse of kidney stones or infections for about 2 months now. my principal was not interested in my dr's note so she thinks i am sandbagging eventhough dr gave me a note. i sent a copy to my union. i need to be checked out in fall for stones since i get them all the time. i see ortho today to talk about injections for leg pain and trouble walking, hope things get better for you
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • you are feeling better!! I also have been hospitalized for a kidney infection, it is not fun at all.
    I'm doing okay, thank you, you actually made me cry a little, lol, but in a good way. It is a good feeling just to know that people do care and understand, so thank you!!!
    Sending you hugs and more of those warm fuzzies!!! >:D<
  • Thank you. All the kind words, encouragment, and support on this board is really amazing. Right now, I'm just focusing on what I can do. School will have to wait. I can't change that. It hurts and I still feel sad about placing my degree on hold but that' all I can do right now. One day I hope I can finish. For now, my family needs me to get better (or as good as I can be) and they are my world. Hubby has some great job contacts so he should be employed soon.

Keep us posted on how you're doing. Many thoughts, positive vibes, prayers, etc coming your way. >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Glad to hear you are feeling better. My antibiotics are helping but like you said, yep, I am still tired all the time. Went to Ortho last week. No PT till next month after visit him July 15. Something feaky happened last week. I had a seizure. Was at the store and started to feel really weak and wobbly and then started having electric shocks in head. I then went to sit down and kind of fell into chair behind me and blacked out. Wasnt gone long, but felt bad when I woke up. So went to ER. Did all the heart test and CT of head for stroke. Dr thought it was a seizure. So tomm I am having a EEG and then if nothing I have to go to neurologist to see what is up. Really has shaken me up. Worst part is I have been having these electrical shocks in head for about a year, just not as bad. Thought it was medicine. Will let you know. Say a big prayer, Im scared...
  • I think we are all going through way too much right now. So I say it's time to say ENOUGH already. We have too much to do and contribute to be dealing with all of this. We're not gonna take it any more!! X( :) 8} (If only it was that easy right.)

We need to get better together then pick a spot to meet up at and celebrate! First round of margaritas is on me!!!! How about Hawaii in February?? No need to freeze, we'll go where it's warm, enjoy the beach, have some drinks, relax, and most importantly, be pain free!!!!

Take care ladies. You're in my thoughts and prayers. >:D< :* >:D< :* >:D< :* >:D< :* >:D< :* >:D< :* >:D< :* >:D< :* >:D< :* >:D< :*
  • since i do not qualify as female, can i join you with my wife and son on hawaii? it is my favorite place in the world
    aloha and mahalo
  • since i do not qualify as female, can i join you with my wife and son on hawaii? it is my favorite place in the world
    aloha and mahalo
  • Tammy, I'm glad to hear you're doing better. Whew!!!

Yes, you were right - I'd had a day when I had completely forgotten about my neck and back and hubby asked how I was feeling and that was the first time I'd thought about it. How cool is that? It used to be a daily occurance, but I guess having many of those days is history. Wally is laying at my feet as I type. What a doll. He's learning fast and knows stuff like off, inside, drop it, sit, and come.

Anyhoo, just wanted to say that I'm glad you're doing better. Now just quit that stuff, ok?

• I hope you're feeling better now and you're over the UTI. I had a bad case of it back in February and was slow about treating it too. I did get tired of peeing on myself all the time and finally took my antibiotics. And yeah, it does make your back feel worse. Take care sweetie >:D<
  • The more the merrier!!! I should've said ladies and gentlemen. #o I'm sorry. Forgive me??? <:P :D
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865

Thats the magic word as the summer approaches

Oh, fresh limes, top shelf Tequilla, Triple Sec, oh my mouth is already watering..

With salt or without..

But we do need some nachoes to go along with that... And fresh cilantro
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Aloha! =D> =D> =D>

Hi Kelly - Thank you so much. I hope this UTI is an isolated incident. It certainly got my attention from letting my past history of bladder and kidney infections slip my mind! I understand the "good cries" very well. There are times certain posts just get me... right there... you know? We can't reach out and hug each other on here, so when the gulping to fight back the tears doesn't work... and you become overwhelmed with that loving warm feeling expressed to you... it's awesome. Amazing, too! I hope your week is going well for you and your pain is less each day. >:D<

Hi Robin - Yikes!!! What on earth is going on??? Please, let us know as soon as you can. I said a prayer, as soon as I read your message and will continue to keep you in my thoughts. Boy oh boy... this Hawaii trip Beth wants to do is very needed! Much love to you, my friend. Hope everything is okay. >:D<

Hi Cath - It's always great to see your name pop up. I think of you often. Thank you for the well wishes and yes... I'm telling myself to just "knock it off already"... lol! I feel I'm on brain overload sometimes and have had to haul out the sticky notes. Hope you are having a good week. Give Wally some extra pets from me. Take good care of you and your sweet family. >:D<

Hey Meydey - Thank you. You know first hand, how miserable these UTI's are. I believe it is gone, but I'm still a little tired. Since I'm not on a set schedule any more, it's okay. I've adjusted myself to taking naps at whatever time of day or night that I need to. Same goes with eating... lol. I tease my co-workers about my 2:30am snacking. I've never been able to do this before in my life (I've always had a set schedule up until the fall), so I try to think of it as a "pleasure". Hey? I've been reading through the posts to catch up and was wondering if there is any news on your pump? Take good care. >:D<

Hello Beth,Jon and Ron - Yes, yes, yes!!! Let's do it! I agree... the more the merrier. We deserve a break and Hawaii would be fantastic! Please bring along your spouses and children... would love to meet them. You will look super cute in a grass skirt and a coconut bikini top, Jon! We will get a matching set for you and Papa Ron. I will make sure the drinks and nachos keep coming your way, Ron. LOL! My hubby (Mike) will be wearing the same, as well as the other males! Hope you all had a good day today. Let's start planning, as soon as we hear what is going on with Robin. >:D<

Ta ta for now,

Tammy :H
  • I was just wondering how you were feeling, so thought I'd drop a line!! Things here are going, well, okay, my doc prescribed trazadone, even though we had discussed tramadol, lol, and even though it does nothing for sleep, I think it may be helping with pain? Combined with pt which I just started again this week, with light massage, so it's probably more that.. Anyways, we're heading down to Lake Ontario with the dog (our kid, lol) to watch the dragon boat races, I hope I can last, as it should be fun!! Wishing you a terrific weekend, and hope you are feeling better!!
  • Hi Kelly!

My UTI is all cleared up! Hurray! Before I comment on my newest pain... I want to hear about you.

How is the trazadone and PT going? Ohhh... that light massage sounds heavenly. Do you go after work for these sessions?

I love, love, love watching boat races! How did you do? I hope you were able to enjoy a couple of hours without too much discomfort. What is your doggy's name? That sure sounds like a super fun time and again, I hope you were able to enjoy yourselves.

I have been feeling much better... thanks so much for asking.

I did have something pop up (or "out", I should say) yesterday morning. This is rather embarassing... but, I have a protruding hemorrhoid. Ugh! What a way to end my UTI, eh? I haven't had one of these for quite some time, but wow does it hurt. We took my parents out to dinner last night for their anniversary and my hubby was thoughtful enough to bring a chair cushion for me to sit on. I can't bend my knees or my back well enough yet... to take a nice and soothing hot bath, so I've been improvising as much as possible.

ANY WAY... enough about that... lol.

I hope work is going well for you. I think about you often and again, hope to hear that the boat races were a great time for you.

Much love,

Tammy >:D<
  • Those are terrible, I can symapthize!!! I've had a few problems over the past few months due to the meds... I found that the best thing was Anusol suppositories, clears right up within a day or two!! But I'm glad to hear that the uti is done with, they're terrible, too. What a time you've had of it!!

The boat races, as it turns out, weren't too interesting, and it rained, lol. The boats weren't decorated well at all, and the whole event wasn't very well organized. They had advertised that there was supposed to be all kinds of different cultural events and stands, which there wasn't.. Oh well, it was good to get out. Then we stopped at the mall, and as always, we have to go look at the kitties and the puppies at the pet store... Well, we ended up coming home with yet another kitty (makes 3, Sasha, Jynx and now Stella, along with our pup, Frost, an Australian blue heeler) lol, our ever growing "family" but we don't have human kiddies, so I guess we make up for that with our animals! But she really was too cute to pass up!!
    Sunday, we got to have brunch with a friend who lives 3 hours away, but is moving 3 provinces away in a couple of weeks, she was down for a wedding, so that was nice too. All the walking around did make me sore, and I actually had to leave work early today, as my neck was really sore, and had a terrible terrible headache (actually brought tears to my eyes). But I do feel better now, after having an oxy and a 2 hour nap, aren't naps great? Wish I didn't have to take the oxy though...
    Anyways, hope you feel better with every day and have a terrific, pain free week!!!
This discussion has been closed.