Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to this

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi all, I have been looking at spine health for the last six months as I have been going through this journey.In The beginning of Jan 2009 I had a nasty fall on my Icy driveway it goes with living in MN.I waited it out a few days and then went in to see my GP as the pain in my lower back was a 10 on a scale. He sent me for a MRI gave me a med pack and some vicodin.The MRI came back as some disc degeneration at L5 but other wise unremarkable. Back to see the GP for results but at this point he said there was nothing there Except mild changes that come with age I am 36. I told him I don't feel any better and he handed me another med pack and percocet. I played this game for about three months as I was not getting better my left leg and my left Buttock and left hip felt like they were on fire and were feeling like I had pins and needles.So I would get steroids and pain killers as I have ulcerative colitis and cannot take any kind of Nsaids as they cause stomach bleeding with my condition.I finally on my own went to see a spine Dr.He pulled up my MRI results and said here is your problem. At l5 s1 part of your disc is dead you have scoliosis right here and the nerve is probably getting pinched. It all happened so fast he told me I needed a nerve root injection and sent me on my way. I have had three of those now and one intreal disc injections to have know relief. At this point I am miserable and feeling hopeless. The spine clinic is going to reevaluate me and we will see. I have been too the Er once as my hip and lower back hurt so bad that the pain killers were not helping. I was given a shot and stronger pain med and Valium. The Valium worked wonders for my sleeping but as I have researched it could be adding to my depression. I was so active before all this happened. I am a very busy mom who works at school and coaches soccer and Boy and Girl scouts. Or I did before this happened my quality of life is bad right now.I did go back to my GP as I knew the depression was getting bad.So I am trying Gapapentin, Cymbalta, and 15 mg morphine twice a day and warm water pool therapy until I get in to the pain clinic and figure this out with the back Drs.As I can see there are many people who have been doing this for years so thank you for letting me vent and knowing I am not alone. This is the hardest thing I have ever been through as it takes away your life as you knew it.

• I'm glad you joined the forum and vent away. This is the place to do it and we can understand. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. the warm water therapy sounds wonderful and pain free !!! sounds like you have been doing your homework and have a game plan. =D> good luck and please keep us informed. :D we can be part of your journey now! =D> Jenny :)
  • Thank you for the kind words, I just got my computer back after a nasty virus attack. I just got back from the surgeon and was told I need a IDET. As there is a tear at the l5s1 with slight bulging.I am not to familiar with this and just talked to my insurance company to find that this is not covered as its a new procedure. I have looked online and it says its been around since 1998 or shall I say FDA approved. I have never had to fight a insurance company before so any suggestions would be great.I just have to say I hate playing this game.
  • Welcome to SH :H I know how difficult it is to go from having a busy life to having it screech to a halt. My back problems started kind of out of the blue, with no particular injury or accident. I am sorry that you have to join us in this type of circumstance, but we certainly understand what you're going through. Hopefully the IDET will be approved by your insurance, and that it gives you relief. Take care :)
  • O:) Wow, does your story sound familiar. I, like you, had my lower back issues come out of the blue and completely change my life and I didn't have a fall or anything to pinpoint what caused the issue. Your experience with bouncing from doctor to doctor and having the ortho docs run you thru like a fast food lane was my experience also.

Just know you've found a great place to let it all out. The people on this site will give you great support and they understand what your friends and family just can't because they haven't been on the pain roller coaster.

I do hope that you win the fight with your insurance company to get the procedure you need. And, yes, I understand that fighting with an insurance company is at the bottom of your list of things you'd like to do right now because you're miserable and in pain. Hopefully, you have a good support system of family and friends that will assist you in your efforts to get this procedure approved.

Ditto here for getting on an anti-depressant -- same thing happened to me -- so overwhelmed with the change in my life, stress over losing my job, etc. I just found out I'm not a surgery candidate which dismayed me, but, my pain levels have been controllable. No matter how you feel right now -- DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE -- hold onto it like a lifesaver! You will get to a point in the future where the pain will start to ease up and those brighter days in the future will help you start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I know you are overwhelmed because you can't do the things that make you who you are and it freaks you out -- be kind to yourself, don't beat yourself up, do what you can each day and let the rest fall by the wayside -- you'll start to see what's really a priority in your life. Don't be afraid to ask for help -- you'd be there for your friends and family if they needed you -- it's your turn now.

Hang in there and post anytime -- we care!

• We are all here to help and support each other through the good times and bad. Let us know if we can help you