Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

worried about non fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
i know its early and i shouldn't be worrying about this already, but i am scared stiff that i wont fuse.

i had plif l4-l5-s1 4 weeks ago and i was wondering if there is anything i can do or what i should be avoiding to ensure i help encourage my body to form a fusion?

any tips or advice would be great, i am so afraid this isn't going to work.

• Don't worry and take your time, drink milk and eat yoghurt and eat healthy and variable. You can take some extra calcium tablets and take sun bath for the vitamine D. Don't take NSAID's (Ibuprofen, Diclofenac, Eleve, Celebrex, etc.): its is an anti-flammatory drug which can prevent bone grow since this is an flammatory reaction. Don't smoke.
    If it is not fuse after one year it is time to worry and take action and discuss with your neurosurg or Ortho-surg to do a revision. I had my revision after two years from my last surgery. I have waited to long to fuse with terrible pain. Two screws were lose and the allograft bone (cadaver bone) was not grown at all but more absorbed. Now after the revision where they use autograft bone (own bone) and thicker screws, it feels great after 3 weeks now. But still I have to be carefull and give it time to create a solid bone bridge.
    Take care.
  • Hi Sherbert,

I had ALIF and total disc replacement L4-L5, L5-S1 4 weeks ago. I am doing great and walking over a mile a day. I know your uneasy about your fusion but you need to relax. Everyones body is different and its hard to possitive when we read about others stories that have not been so possitive. Listen to your surgeon and stick to his restrictions. Mine are no lifting, pushing or pulling, no housework and no lifting anything heavier than 5 lbs. until my 2 month appointment. Do you have a bone stimulator? My doctor gave me one and I take calcium to help strengthen my bones. I have another set of x-rays on July 10th to see how Im doing.Just try to stay possitive and tell yourself everyday that it's going to fuse. It's going to fuse. It's going to fuse!!!!!!