Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Pain Management
I would be very very grateful if anyone could give me some advice,i have had acute chronic pain for 17yrs now,i have been on morphine for 5+yrs.
My pain doc mentioned that a painpump would be ideal for me,that,s when all my problem,s began because he then in the next breath said but i can,t do it here as we don,t have the facility,s,however i will send you to one of my collegues who may be able to help,i live in the u.k in a place called aldershot in hampshire,well my pain doc sent me to a place called essex,i duly saw the pain doc who was fantastic,he told me you would be an ideal candidate for this pump i will definatly give you the pump but we need to find someone who will do your refill,s,i told him my pain doc said he would help me,he told me i know your pain doc cuz he trained me but we have to see if he is willing to do the refill,s,when i got back [after a 1 and a half car journey each way!] i saw my pain doc who said sorry can,t do your refill,s,in that one sentance he may as well have stabbed me in the gut,s! i pointed out that he had told me prior to going i will help you no matter what,yeah right!it has been almost 3yrs now and i am still trying to get this pump and i am so desperate now that i am willing to travel to the hospital over 100 miles away to have the refill,s i really don,t know how much more i can take of this living hell,i have tried every thing out there to help myself spending money i could ill afford,not only has my pain affected me it has also affected my son, my husband,two week,s before christmas my husband left me because he could no longer live with me like this,i just don,t know what else to do? i feel very let down and i would give anything just to have this pump,i am also aware it may not work but at least give ma a chance,if there is anyone who can give me any advice on how i can get help to get this pump please because i really don,t know how much more i can take

• Welcome to SH :H . I'm sorry you're going through all this and I understand how bad it is to live with chronic pain that is nonstop. I'm in the US, but there are some members from the UK who could hopefully help steer you in the direction of finding another pain doctor who maybe will refill the pump for you. Straker is one member that I know from the UK, and you can send him a private message by clicking on Send PM. He is really nice.

I'm waiting to have a pump put in permanently too and it seems that it will take forever to happen. I'm so tired of living this way. I can't imagine my husband leaving me because of this condition; I didn't bring this upon myself and by no means is it your fault either. I'm sorry this happened to you and I think it was a terrible thing for him to do. After all, marriage is for sicker or poorer.

Seventeen years is a very long time to suffer with chronic pain. For me it's only been around 3 years, and it all started from 2 disc herniations at L4-S1. I try to cope with pain the best I can, and I need all the help and support I can get. My family has been so supportive and I'm glad I found this community with many friends who relate to what I'm going through.

Well, I look forward in getting to know you, and I hope things work out for you soon. Take care >:D<
  • I'm only been waiting for this pump 5 months so I sorry for all your suffering.

2 questions about the pump:
    a. can you find someone in your town, neighboring town that can inject you;?

b. Is it possible a different country would be easier and closer—I don’t know where you are in the EU, but my friend in Scotland says sometimes it was easier talking a two-hour train ride to a different country than finding it in Scotland? (she found charities to help with the train fees)

What pain medication are you on and when was the last time you had it updated?
    Basically, Angle, as long as you’re stuck like this, you have to find the best pain management care you can. Are you on long-lasting or short-lasting Morphine; because they have different purposes.

Long term pain med are taking once every 8-12 hours and keep a constant dose of meds in your systems. Short-term (for break-thru pain) when you r long -term doesn't take away all the pain and you control the dose-- you might now need any for days, and then a huge snowstorm or too much labor will cause you to need a few pills to a mazium dose fro a few days. Maybe you need a second short-term for when the 12rst short-lasting, break-thru medication fails.
    (I was only a long-lasting morphine and short-lasting Percocet. But my disease flared up the same time we were having conctant weather pressure changes. So to keep me out of the ER, my pain mangement doctor gave me short-acting morphine to take only if the Percocet didn't work. I might need just 1 pill a day or I might need 2 every 6 hours-- like every time it snowed this year.)

you can also try a muscle relaxor
    (mine is clonzapam and everyone thinks I’m claustrophobic because that’s what all the housewives, Hollywood actors, and "teen rave partiers" "said" to get my medication to get HIGH from—so now my insurance won’t cover it. Despite most people with Lupus, MS, etc needing this drug, it's now labeled a party drug and very hard to get the Insurance companies to pay for it.

But it’s the only thing that stops my legs
    from weakening and objects from falling out of
    my trembling hands.

Last, maybe you need something for inflammation or to help you sleep.

Don’t be afraid of addiction:[/u] your body gets what’s called a "chemical dependence", but it’s the same when you have to take steroids for a while. You have to taper off; cold turkey can make you feel sick. But you won’t get diarrhea and throw up and get the shakes like you’re kicking a monkey as if you had an "addiction".

95% of people who got addicted were either addicted to something else before or started to use the medications wrong. For example, euphoria lasts only a few weeks. But if you double your dose or skip a dose and then take your meds you can maintain that [u]"high feeling."
    Most of us trying to get better don’t like the Euphoria feeling usual decribed more as cloudy-headed or fuzzy. Most Pain medication patients think it’s stops our goal to get healthy cause we have LOST enough thoughts from pain.

Also, some people might take the pill for years perfectly and then a tragedy happens and they start taking the pills to make them feel better “emotionally” when they know they are not in physical pain. They medications weren’t prescribed as “pick-me-ups” or a way to block out “dad’s death,” It’s a patient's responsibility to use this medication as prescribed.

But until you get your Pump, you should get the best Pain relief you can. It might help your well-being and ease the stress on your family.

on fast (30mg up 8/day)and slow Morphine(60mn 2x), clonazpam 1mg 3/day, (muscle relaxor--flexeral cause permenant hearing problems, soma make me sick.

percocet 10mg 8/day,
    fentanly patches -2 75 patches,
    ambien 20mg/night