Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anterior Cervical Corpectomy titanium cage-Scared to death-surgery 6/9

sinatrafan44ssinatrafan44 Posts: 64
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi..It's been two days since I agreed to have this surgery, and now I am really getting cold feet..I shouldn't have done it but I watched the surgery on line..graphic and extremely gross, and this will be me in 4 days...The NS made it sound like a piece of cake and that I really need to have it done as he said i won't get better with conservative measures..He is doing the ACCF with the titanium cage and using my resected vertebrate mixed with something and putting it back in the space..i had heard of using hip bone or cadaver bone, but never heard of the resected vertebrate type..I am also worried about complications especially problems with swallowing and general recovery issues..I know I need this but the idea of the whole thing is really worrisome...I'd really appreciate any thoughts or reassuring words, plus any helpful ideas..I think I need a zanax:) thanks...Amy

• Dont know much about it, but you have my prayers and thoughts. Be brave and know that a good recovery is possible. I am facing a cervical procedure right now myself. These internet message boards have scared the bejeebers out of me with their stories and complications. However, EVERYONE I know that has had a ACDF has had good results. One lady is going on 10 years and NO complications or difficulties. A lady I work with, her husband is a construction worker and he was back operating a jack hammer in 3 mos. One year later he is putting a Chevelle back together. Trust your surgeon has the skill in his/her craft to put you back together again......God Bless!!!
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hi Amy,
    As you have heard before, I've been there, done that, and I'm 20 months post-op. Corpectomy, Discectomy, multi-level fusion of C3 thru C6, both anterior & posterior with a cage, strut, plates, rods, & screws. 6 hour procedure ending at 9 p.m. up and walking the very next morning. Discharged from the hospital the next day after. It's a little uncomfortable and takes some getting used to but it is not the worst. You are most correct,
    you need to do it before something more catastrophic and permanent were to happen. PM me anytime if there is any questions I may help you answer.
    Be strong and positive and you will do well. Take care and keep us posted.
  • hey thanks so much for your comforting thoughts...I'll keep you posted...Amy
  • Sometimes too much information is NOT a good thing. None of us wants to really think about the actual surgical process. My first surgery must have been hellacious. I was in the operating room for most of the day -- check in was a 5:30 a.m., think I was wheeled into surgery around 7:00 a.m., woke up in recovery at 5:30 p.m. I lost a lot of blood -- needed three pints before they took me into my second surgery four days later. Thank goodness I was too out of it in the hospital to even really think about the second surgery, which prior to entering the hospital, I didn't even know was a possibility! Sometime you just have to focus on the goal and not the process. And, if you've got Xanax, take 'em! They help.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • OMG..thank you for helping me put some things in perspective..FOCUS ON THE GOAL:) And I sincerely hope you are finding relief and that your current symptoms go away...I'll be starting the XANAX tomorrow:) Thank you...Amy
  • Hi Amy -

I am scheduled for the same thing, as of right now but that can change based upon the findings of my CAT Scan that I had on Monday.

I am hoping you will post about your experience, otherwise I am going to need XANAX too I)
  • Hi Swim Mom..Here is my experience..I had my surgery on 6/9 and overall I did well with the surgery.I had an ACCF on level 6.I went in at 5:30 am and was out the next day at 1:00. I did fine with the anesthesia and awoke to a very sore throat and difficulty with swallowing.Immediately, The pain/numbness in my left arm was gone!I had a fairly rough day but they managed my pain well..I had a regular IV and IV antiobiotic and just drank water and soda all day..Don't be afraid to ask for more pain meds if you need them..I was able to walk and go to the bathroom that day. I did not have a neck brace or catheter (tho one was put in during surgery). I was released and I had a 3 hour drive which I tolerated with drugs. The next three days were the worst..swallowing pain, neck and body pain, and a low grade fever, all normal.I was able to shower on day 3 .Then I got thrush (oral yeast infection) which complicated everything. That went away and at the end of week 1 I was comfortably eating puddings, grilled cheese and carnation drinks..Pain still there and every 4 hrs taking 10 mg oxycodone..Sleeping ok but taking a sleeping aid to help..Feeling stronger. Now it is week 2 and I am eating everything and have walked a half mile today..i feel stronger and my voice and swallowing are back to normal..I have a bit of numbness in one finger, but no pain at all..I also do not have the gnawing aching pain that I have before surgery. I am encouraged about the surgery..i have a very stiff neck but they put in a titanium cage that will need time to get used to..if you have questions you can PM me..Best wishes..Amy
  • Amy - Glad to hear that you are doing great!!! I am suprised with the cath though @) I will too request that is done when I am OUT!! I had one with my twins, and asked it be done too after the spinal ;))

Here is my issue:

I am scheduled for the 29th of July (wed) and my dh is taking off Wed, Thur, Fri, Sat, Sun - because we have four children from 12-6. My MIL offered to take the children that monday, but that leaves NO ONE with me- LOL is she kidding me :/

I have a herination at C4/C5, that is also out of alinement. In addition to that I have hemongioma's in C6 and C7; which is where things could change regarding the ACDF surgery.

Being only 34 my neuro wants to determine with the CAT Scan if he does just the ACDF with the hopes the pain from C6/C7 goes away. Or if he goes in through the back of my neck and strengthings my neck and removes C6/C7 too in addition to the ACDF.

Funny thing, is that he did say for 2 weeks there is no driving BUT after that I can go to the beach with my children with a soft collar on --- sound right??

• Hi..Just to let you know I am going to the beach on Friday 2 1/2 weeks removed from surgery..I am basically going to be continuing my rest and rehab there..No swimming, watch the sun, and no boogie boarding (one of my fav beach activities):(.I will probably just be hanging out poolside and reading..I am not an expert nor do I want to be on spinal issues..I believe the ACDF is a bit less invasive than the ACCF...In my case they removed the vertebrate and I believe in the ACDF they remove just the disc/s..Yours sounds a bit more complex with the hemangiomas and the possibility of going in posterior..Gee you might need lots of help given the ages of your kids..Luckily my kids are 16/12 and have been a big help..With whatever you have done you won't be able to lift or bend for at least 4 weeks or longer..Maybe someone else can chime in here with more experience..Again I'd be glad to chat anytime..Amy
  • I have read many months worth of posting on cervical corpectomy. Thanks to all of you I was well informed on the surgery and post-op period. I am 12 days post-op anterior corpectomy. I have a titanium cage, plate and screws for my C4-C5 spondylolithesis. I also have a congenital fusion of C5-C6. My last MRI showed a herniation of C7. My problem now is that after the surgery my right leg felt funny. I though this was due to positioning during the surgery. The nurses said this will go away. On day 6 woke up at 1:30am with the most excruating right buttock to foot, muscle spasm.This has continued for 6 days every night. On day 9 my right foot became numb during my nightly muscle spams. I can't sleep because of pain. No muscle relaxants or pain RX stops the spasms. I also have a lump under my neck incision. The NS. said my body didn't like the surgery. I do not have an infection so he put me on a steriod dose pack to help resolve the problems. I have never had a problem with my right leg. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • alledwaalledw Posts: 1
    edited 09/29/2015 - 8:23 PM
    Now, an Anterior Cervical Corpectomy using titanium cage and screws will be used to correct the failed implant. Has anyone gone through this?

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
This discussion has been closed.