Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new to back pain - please help!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Chronic Pain
I'm 26 years old and was in pretty good shape until i herniated a disk in my lower back about a month ago. I've been to the hospital emergency room 2 times and all they did for me was prescribe 20 5mg oxy's which only lasted for a couple of days. I ran out of the medication and was still in severe pain. I am unable to sit for more than 5 mins at a time before I have to lay on the floor flat on my back - the only position I am comfortable in. I went to the hospital a second time and they gave me the same prescription and told me that i should feel better within a couple of weeks. It's been a month now and I feel no better. To make it worse, I have been buying pain killers illegally which is incredibely costly as well as risky. I need advice about how to go about getting a pain management doctor. Do I need a referral? I can no longer afford to get medication on the black market. While taking them I am able to live in relative comfort as well as go through my stretching routines and back workouts - which is begging to help. I am not able to do this without pain medication. Please help! I am willing to consider anything at this point!

• You need to see your dr and get a referral, and please, no more buying off the street!!! It is not only risky in the legal sense, but you don't know what you may be getting!!! There is tons of info here on the site about different options for conservative care, but you need to see your doctor and discuss your next course of action to get better, be it at a pain management clinic, physio, epidural shots, etc. If you don't have a family dr, then go to a walk-in clinic, as I'm not sure if ER drs will give referrals. It is also better to try to see the same dr, as they will be more benficial to you than seeing a different dr every time. I wish you all the best, and no more buying meds off the street!!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. Kelly has given you some good advice.. get that referrel to a pm doctor and you will find lots of possibilities for pain relief and pain medication given appropriately.. =D> good luck and keep in touch! :D Jenny :)
  • sorry to hear about your pain and we all know on here just how bad back pain can be..my advice is the same as my friends .go see your doctor and start the procedure for correcting your problem .do you have any leg pain?and have you and problems passing water ?is so this is a medical emergency!! i am surprised that they gave you oxycodone as a first line of medication .are you in the UK ? i wish you the best .in the meantime may i suggest they you try a good TENS machine this should help a bit with the pain .but once again get your self to your doctors ASAP
This discussion has been closed.