Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post surgical leg symptoms

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a microdiscectomy at the L4/L5 five days ago, and I still have leg symptoms - worse than before actually. Pins and needles in the big toe. Calf pain. Have others had this experience, but then fully recovered. Everyone tells me that the leg pain is the one pain that usually disappears right away, so I'm rather disconcerted. Any perspectives, input and advice would be welcomed.

• How long were you messed up before the surgery?
  • It may just be irritation from all the poking around in there. You may have swelling that's still bothering the nerve (that'll improve), or it could be that now the nerve is decompressed, it's waking up and mad that it was squished. :) Either way, keep watch on your symptoms and let your doc know if it doesn't improve or gets worse. Hopefully it will improve....soon!
  • Inflammation from the surgery. Are you icing? Have you been walking? Do you drink lots of water? You need to get the fluids moving and out of that area of your back. Sometimes the compression from the condition before surgery can make the nerve continue to hurt even after the surgery. It takes time for it to heal. I felt better almost instantly after my micro, but unfortunately, things began a downward spiral about six months after that and I ended up with my fusion. Give it another week or so and see how you feel then. Try some ice.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Most people have told me they felt instant relief from the leg pain with the micro, so I was surprised to have my calf pain be the first sensation I noticed when I woke up from the anaestesia. If I may ask, do you know what caused the erosion of your condition after your microdiscectomy?
  • ...two years ago. The L5 nerve have been impinged for a long time.
  • i had a discectomy 2 years ago and my lower leg and foot are still numb. it took nearly a year for the tingling and intermittent sharp pain to go away. my doctor said because my nerve was compressed so long before surgery it may never regain full feeling. at this point it doesn't bother me too much. its more annoying than anything. i still occasionally have the sharp pain if i am very active or do something to irritate the nerve but it always goes away when i rest for a bit. i hope this helps.
  • With that nerve mashed for so long it may take a while longer for it to heel itself. As long as you're not getting worse and have even the slightest amounts of improvements over time I think you're recovery's on the right track:) My heal stayed numb for about a week and half after surgery on L5/S1, but my nerve was squished for only about 2 months. Before that I had pain off and on with the final 2 months excrutiatingly horrid!