Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve issues 3 weeks post op

maryscoffinsmmaryscoffins Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Hello everybody,

I am very new to the forum (and new to back problems), so any help you can give I would really appreciate. I started having severe low back pain in January 2009, sciatic nerve made it very painful to walk. After physical therapy and cortizone injections, I was told that the canal between L4 and L5 were almost 100% blocked. The Dr. also said that he was very surprised that he hadn't seen me 10 years before. I had a laminectomy on May 13th, and am now 3 weeks post op. My question is, am I suppose to have sciatica pain that is worse that it was before surgery? Such a simple task as unloading the dryer caused what felt like an electrical jolt from my left rump cheek all the way down to my foot. My left foot is still numb.

• I just noticed your post. I'm sorry no one responded to you sooner. I don't usually read this particular segment of the forum, even though your problem prior to surgery was similar to mine.

How are you feeling by now?

Actually unloading the dryer is not a safe activity for those of us with spinal problems. People very often bend and twist at the same time while accomplishing this task -- two things that are a big NO-NO, and when combined, can be damaging.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you may have developed a new problem, or it could just be that you briefly irritated what was already a nerve angry from surgery. I hope it was the latter and that you are feeling better by now.
  • :H Welcome to Spine Health -- so sorry you are having sciatic pain after going through surgery. Have you consulted your surgeon about what's happening? Did you wake up from surgery with pain or did it just come on gradually?

I haven't had surgery but I suffer with sciatic pain in my left leg so I know it S#$%s! Are you current pain meds helping at all with the pain? Are you using heat or ice therapy?

In reading various posts on this site, there are people who have had no sciatic pain after surgery and those that have it worse (like you explained) so I don't think you are alone.

Feel better real soon -- sending you comforting and healing thoughts to aid in your recovery. I've read that nerves take a while to heal so hopefully the pain will start to subside.

Good luck and take care,