Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi, I'm Allyson!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in New Member Introductions
I just joined this great community and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Allyson and I'm 32 years old. I've suffered with lower back pain on and off since my late teens. Within the past year the on and off has turned into a constant 'on'. X-rays show some common disc issues and my most recent x-rays resulted in a referral to a neurosurgeon.

I'm a little confused and frustrated about an appt with the neurosurgeon yesterday. I in no way want surgery, but the appt yesterday compared to my first appointment a few weeks ago was like night and day. Has anyone here ever felt rushed by a doctor, like you may be the last patient before lunch break or something? Sounds silly I know, but it really felt that way. The only reason it's bothering me is because 2 weeks ago, the surgeon's nurse practitioner explained to me in detail the kind of surgery I'd have and the reasons I needed it sooner than later. It scared me so I went ahead and had a myelogram w/ct, bone scan & emg.

Well during my appt yesterday, the doctor barely went over my results with me and kind of blew off the need for surgery at this time. Which is great! However, I'm haunted by the first appointment. The doctor yesterday didn't even seem to realize that I'd had some of the tests I'd had. Those tests weren't exactly fun, I would have appreciated him taking the time to go over the results with me. He did recommend more physical therapy, I'm all for exhausting all other conservative treatments before surgery. The appt just felt weird and rushed.

I'm contemplating a second opinion, however, I like that this guy is telling me I don't need surgery right now. I don't know, I guess I just want to trust that this doctor has been thorough in reading my chart, and the need for surgery I was told about at the first appt is really not necessary.

Sorry for the long post. It's just an unsettling feeling...

Thanks for reading and Happy Saturday!

• I hear you.........I have been waiting on a NS appt. since last October. I live in Canada so our health system is different. Our waiting lists are long so I have to be patient.

I certainly would feel frustrated and confused by the doctor's demeanor. Perhaps you could call up and schedule another time when you can have a talk at length with the doctor because you were a bit confused by his direction.

*I also have to add that these suggestions are just suggestions and that I am not a professional*

Good luck.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.. so glad you stopped by! :D you are very correct to be questioning this doctor who barely gave you the time of day.. :? it never hurts to have as many opinions as possible and i would try another doctor. you want someone you can talk to and who seems concerned for you at all stages of your procedures. :D surgery is very serious and you need the best care possible. please stop by anytime with your concerns. =D> good luck as you search for pain relief! :D Jenny :)
  • Hello Allyson -

I'd be willing to bet that we've all experienced that kind of response from a Doc at one time or another...unfortunately, it pretty much just goes with the territory when you're a chronic pain patient and have been dealing with Doc's for awhile.

I wonder that if in your situation, a referral to a good Pain Management Doc wouldn't be best right now...so he/she could over-see and coordinate your treatment plan, etc.?? My P.M. Doc was excellent from day one, taking control of what meds I'd be on, what tests would be done, relaying the test, MRI and x-ray results to me in an understandable way, and finally...referring me to an Ortho Surgeon when I'd exhausted all conservative treatment methods.

Also remember, that YOU have to take and be in charge of your treatment and care...the Doc's work for you and not vice-versa, so don't let yourself again feel frustrated like that when you leave a Doctor's office. Don't be afraid to tell them what you expect, just try to do so in a diplomatic way and most times...they'll actually respect your doing so.

Take care Allyson and best wishes to you...I hope you get things in order very soon and find a medical team that your comfortable with, that would be awesome!

• Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome and feedback. I think I will be calling that doctor's office back for more clarification. Ultimately though, I think I want a doctor that will at least pretend he's looked at my chart! LOL Oh well...