Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Chronic Pain
I had two blown out discs at L4 and L5, which caused sciatica pain. I hurt real bad down my left leg. I hurt worse after getting up in the morning.It felt like a pulled hamstring.
It would feel better in the day and i had better movement.I worked up until a few days before my ALIF 360 surgery.It's been 8 weeks since surgery and I'm in constant pain. I still have the sciatica.I hurt in my left buttock,down my left leg. I have to take Percocet 10 four or five times within 24 hours.My doctor says the MRI looked normal. I cried and said I'm not normal.I hurt all the time. He said the pain could be from inflamed nerve endings after surgery. He went out and came back and said he might have seen a small sliver off of bone where they put the screws.He said even a tiny sliver could cause tremendous pain. He's going to set me up to have an epidural steroid injection. I hope it gives me relief. He then wants me to have PT 3 times a week (range of motion)I'm on short term disability from work.I have a factory job that is very physical.I'm scared I'm not going to get straightened out and be able to return to work. I can relate to you people.I've never chatted before or posted anything until this.I came across this sight trying to see if anybody was like me and in worse pain than before surgery.

• I had more intense leg pain after my fusion. I had to take Lyrica for about a month because I couldn't even stand to keep my legs still, they hurt so bad. Perhaps something like that, in addition to the percocet would help you feel better? Boy, if there's bone fragment in there, I hope they can get it out easily. Take care and I hope they get you feeling better soon. Pain sucks!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • thanks Linda.I'll ask my doctor about Lyrica.Bless your heart. You're going through a lot.I'm 48. I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis two years ago.I take Arava daily.I was put on Enbrel injections once a week. I was finally doing good after 6 months of Enbrel. Then my back messed up.I had to quit the Enbrel before surgery. My incision on my abdomen got infected and I wound up with a big deep hole. Home Health comes twice a week and does a wet to dry dressing. My kids dress it the other days. It's finally getting smaller.After it heals I can get back on my Enbrel.I hope you will get straightened out too.
  • I ruptured L4S1 L5S2 when I sustained a major slip / fall on a boat in alaska in 2000. Surgery 2001 Hemilaminectomy microdiskectomy. Helped for a few years. Now pain is back and at times unbearable. Sometimes it feels as though i have luke warm water running down my leg. Medical discharge. 40% disability.
    Im now retuning to the VA for f/u evaluation after 10 years of living with this hell. Seeking comfort and solace here.
This discussion has been closed.