Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Methadone for CP Updated - Waiting for Relief

JessaJJessa Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Chronic Pain
Thanks to everyone who encouraged me to try methadone. No weight gain yet, and the dry mouth hasn't been bad.

However, This is day 9 and I am not getting the kind of relief I got when I tried Methadone for a week about a year ago. On Wed., my doctor gave me permission to slowly raise the dose until I got relief. But, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going to get relief.

The only thing I can think of is that the last time I tried methadone, the med. from the fent. patch probably wasn't completely out of my system, and I was getting acupuncture 3x/wk by a very good Dr. of Chinese medicine and taking Chinese herbs as well. I tend to respond quite well to acupuncture. But it was costing me $250 a week, so I really couldn't afford to do it for more than a couple weeks. But, I was getting the treatments and taking the herbs while I was on the methadone...

If anyone has any comments on how long it might take to get the dose right - I started slow and low, and originally thought that might be the problem, but now I'm wondering if I'm going to get a good response. My neck pain and headache don't let up (they did before - I had times when I didn't have pain) and are constantly between a 4/5 and 7. I don't feel like it's getting better as I raise the dose.

Any thoughts would be welcome...Thanks, Jessa

• Hello Jessa -

I would recommend that you give it a bit more time to take FULL effect and remember that you should only ever expect a 20 to 30% decrease in your pain level (regardless of the med type) cuz expecting anymore is unrealistic.

What you might want to consider, is asking your Doc for some IR (instant release) "break-through pain" med like Hydrocodone or Oxycodone...to take when the slow-release Methadone isn't quite enough.

Regardless of what you decide, make sure to keep your Doc informed as to what is working and what's not...it's VERY important that he/she stays in the know.

Best wishes and take care -

• hi im just wondering what dose u are talking ive had great luck with methadone in the past at 180mg a day, and your goal of pain mngnt should be 50-75% pain relief, i wish u luck.
  • I used to be on Fentanyl patches too and then I switched to MS Contin with no problems such as withdrawal. Even with the morphine and oxycodone as an IR med, I still have plenty of pain. I rely on ice packs, sometimes a little heat to help out. There are other IR meds to try if you're tolerant to oxycodone such as Norco for example. I hope you get relief from your pain soon. Take care
  • I was coming off the patch, which I think stayed in my system a lot longer than I thought b/c I have been increasing the dose to stave off withdrawals but not getting the relief I expected or remembered.

I started at 25 mg 3x/day and am now at almost double that - 45-50 3x/day and still having mild w/d symptoms. I'm really disappointed b/c I thought that 25-30 3x/day would be enough and, that it was going to work. I remember feeling NO PAIN at times when I was taking it before (all one week of taking it...) I didn't want to have to go so high - I know other people take much more, but my goal is to taper down once I get to a level where my pain is under control again.

I feel like I'm taking a different med (!) -- my dry mouth, which was terrible before (I was drinking water non-stop), is very very mild. I don't even feel like I'm retaining water. No sweet tooth.. But, worst, not enough pain relief.

I am trying to be careful since I know methadone accumulates and that I may need less as time passes. At the moment - day 10 (think I miscalculated earlier), that doesn't seem to be the case. It was so easy, fast, and worked so well at much lower dose last time - it's hard to understand why this time seems so different....

It's easier for me to think about my pain level on a scale of 1 to 10 than to think about a 25 or 50% reduction in my pain. I've sort of given up on the idea that there is some "fixed" pain level my body experiences and that the pain meds reduce it by x %. I've heard that the only way to assess your "real" pain level is to go off pain meds entirely for at least a year to allow your receptors to "reset" (as much as they can)......

Thank you,
  • Jeff,

Thanks, I wish my doctor was more interested in staying up to date w/ my treatment. Nice guy, he but cuts a lot of corners . . . I'm keeping him up to date, but I don't think he's paying much attention. :-(

I'm not sure an IR will work since this is constant, gnawing pain that doesn't let up - i.e., I'm not feeling much difference from one moment to the next. I'm also horribly tolerant to oxycodone IR now and it does very little for me.

I'll give it more time tho - I know that 9 days is pretty short in the grand scheme of things - It's just that I have a job interview soon and I need to feel better!

There have been times when my pain level has regularly been 0-3; it's hard to let go of that aspiration!

Thank you for suggesting patience . . . Jessa
This discussion has been closed.