Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

OK, interesting development in my pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have a very large right paracentral herniated C5-6 with encroachment into the right lateral recess and right neural foramina as well as mild deformity of the spinal cord. Dunno what all that means, but it really cant be good.

Since Feb the pain has been mostly isolated in my right shoulder and arm. Recently, the pain has migrated to my left arm and shoulder as well. It seems as if the pain is getting better on the right side, but is now acting up on the left. What does this mean?!?!? Can the pain jump around like this or does it mean that I have a disc bulge in another Cervical area? A little distressing if you get my message, any help would be appreciated.

• hi!! :H i can't tell you what that information means either but if you have developing or continuing pain you should call your doctor.. :-C there is always the chance of doing permanent damage to yourself. good luck and keep us informed! :D Jenny :)
  • I started with pain on my left side and 2 weeks into PT my pain jumped to both sides. I had a herniation of my C5-6 as well as my C6-7. I have been battling the pain for the past 4 years with 2 surgeries and 3 fused discs. Not to mention a wonderful array of hardware.

Be well
  • I don't have that bad of neck issues but I know my lower back will affect one side or the other depending on how I aggravate it ,one day it might be the left one day it's the right ,I know i have a central problem maybe thats what gives it the chance to affect both I have no idea .good luck and hang in there
  • on what nerves are being aggravated at the time.Your problem with the herniation isn't good.Have you seen a surgeon yet? I'm sure he would recommend surgery.when i had the discs on my spinal cord i had pain all over the place.one day one spot would be worse the next day it would switch up all depending on what i was doing that day.
  • I have seen a neurosurgeon and am now looking at getting 2nd and 3rd opinions. This guy just wanted to jump right to the surgery. He felt 4 months of conservative treatment was enough. Well we shall see what the others say.
  • By all means get a second and even third opinion. It will be one year on June 20 since I injured my neck and ended up with 2 herniations and other "stuff". After an MRI, an Orthopedic Surgeon who suggested PT and epidural injections and then probably surgery,(went with the PT but not the injections) then a Neurosurgeon who immediately scheduled surgery - which I canceled the day before), I just waited for a couple of months. Then I went to a Chiropractor who is well known in my area. He reviewed the MRI and began VERY VERY gentle treatment and also ordered weekly deep muscle massage. I personally believe that Chiros are pretty much smoke and mirrors but agreed to stay with treatment as long as I didn't feel worse! I saw him 3 times a week for a month with no response and then little by little I started noticing the numbness in my fingers lessening and the pain in my arm and should blade was less frequent. To make a long story somewhat shorter - I know see him once a week and still get the massage. I am back to doing everything I did before-washing our boat, weeding the garden, all housework, etc. I occassionally have a twinge but don't take anything besides ibuprofen and that maybe once a week or less. I am not saying that I am "cured" but I do know that I do not need surgery today-maybe not this month or year- and I feel great. Don't jum to surgery too often just because you get scared about permanent nerve damages-that was my biggest fear. I assessed my nerve problems closely and decided that if they didn't get worse, I could live with that - and now they are pretty much gone!! lso, my arm strength is back to almost 100%. I worked in the medical field for almost 30 years and am a big believer in physicians and their treatments but SOMETIMES, the body can heal itself if given time. Hope things get better for you soon!
  • I am going to chiropractor and am going to follow the same thought process that you did. My think is I am only 34 and have a 2 1/2 yo daughter with another child on the way. I don't want this injury to become something that changes my lifestyle and prevents me from caring for my children and engaging in activities I want to with them. I struggle with the the idea of just having the damn disc surgically treated or trying to avoid the knife. At this point I am literally 50/50!!! I guess I couple of more months in the grand scheme doesnt mean much and if by the end of summer I am not seeing much improvement I can have the surgery done and hopefully be near 100% when our second child is due in December.
  • yea im about to get facet joint injections june16th and then start going back to the chiro until i cant get out of bed...hopefully by then the new ADR disc will be in full effect here in the states...
  • GalleyGirl, I was very pleased to see your post about how you have been able to get huge pain relief without surgery and heavy drugs.
    I have found the same thing after my new pain Dr steered me away from the injections path and onto clinical physiotherapy. I now have a weekly remedial massage and do a daily (usually!) 30 minute stretch/ exercise routine.
    My pain levels have dropped dramatically, and no longer are my neck muscles rigid and sore.
    I can turn my head to the side again, and the headaches have virtually stopped.
    Now I've had about 20 years of neck, head, arm, shoulder pains, and after a few weeks of this new treatment they have all but disappeared.
    Naturally it will take a while to undo 20 years of neglect, but I'm on the way.
    While I am well aware that there are many really serious spinal problems aired here, it seems that most people are totally unaware of the intense pain that muscles can create, as time and time again only the spine is checked out, never the muscles.
    If the sore muscles aren't the cause of the pain, they will be a symptom.
    As part of your search for the cause of your chronic pain, you must include the muscles. To not do so could mean that you are missing out on finding the real culprit.
    Everyone, whether in pain or not, would benefit from remedial massage, and those in pain stand to gain so much more.
    Treatment without drugs and/ or surgery is surely worth a little effort to consider.
  • My pain began on my left side and has now migrated to the right side as well.
  • I had many discussions with my Chiro about my fears that he might make things worse. Absolutely NO neck or back "cracking"!! He uses a little gadget that very gently moves the vertebrae a bit. For several months after I started to feel better, I was very careful in my activity but recently I have started to do anything I need to do, although I am aware of HOW I am doing it. I told my Chiro that if the only way I could continue to feel well was to avoid many of my normal activities, then I might as well have the surgery. So far, so good. As long as I can function normally, I plan to avoid surgery, but I will never give up a normal life! If you re not getting WORSE, give it time!!!