Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cherrybabyccherrybaby Posts: 49
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi I have a few ??'s
I had level one fusion almost a year ago.(L5 S1)
I felt good about 6 months after. Or at least the level was way down. Now I am having major isues again. My pain level is back up to where it was about two months befor my surgery. I am also having new pain in different areas of the lower back and butt area by the hips.(sorry) I have no pain meds. I have insomnea really bad.
I talked the my doc. nurse and I have an appoitment on the 24. But she said that it might be my body reacting to the hardware or the disk above it going. has anyone else had these problems??

• I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

I have experienced a similar situation (fusion at L5/S1 on 8/18/2008) where I was doing fairly well through the first four months and then gradually started feeling worse. At times the pain has felt like it did before my surgery.

I recently had a myelogram/CT scan and the results came back fine. The only thing the images showed was my fusion is not yet complete (it is close, but there is a small gap).

My surgeon believes the pain is from fatigued muscles. He asked to me start riding a bike or swimming. I have been on an exercise bike twice since then, and have felt much better after 12-15 minutes. It feels better for approximately 1 hour and then goes back to "normal." I think it will get better over time.

I also have some tingling down my legs and the surgeon did not have any clue why I am experiencing that. The nerve roots are fine - not even any scar tissue in the area.

Hopefully your doctor will order some tests so you can get a proper diagnosis for your issues.

Good luck
  • it is very common for discs above a fusion to become unstable after a fusion. You have to be very, very careful about your movements so as not to disrupt those discs. I hope it's something they can fix easily for you. Sounds as though it's either the disc above or you have scar tissue or something.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I have a similar situation. But my PM and me both think that my pain is muscle related. Structurally, everything looks the way it should after a two level fusion. But, the structure of my spine is different since the lamina was altered and I have a bunch of metal still there.

We have considered removing the hardware, but WC won't pay for that unless the doctor says he knows it is causing the problem and he can't make that determination.

I'm in a catch 22.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2