Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm going crazy

mackers758mmackers758 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Hi, I'm 41 and suffered in pain for the last 15 years now. I had MRI (done by miltary docs) followed by 3 epidurals, all within a month. I was told that i had some DDD and deteriated facet joints. Since then I've has facet injections for the last 8 years. I hate taking medication as recently i feel nausea everytime. I have terrible pain and numbness down my legs, arms. The facet injections seem to take the edge off the pain now and then. However last week i had my right arm, leg and torso just start "twitching" for no apparent reason. My GP got me into Queen Elizabeth Hospital straight away. I had MRI, CT (head) and EMG (damn big needles stuck in muscles) but they said I was fine. They did say I had mild DDD in my lower back and neck and that was that, no surgery required. My neck clicks really bad when i tip it left to right and has done for years, if I dont tip it now and then it tightens up and gets painful.
I'm now awaiting blood test results. Why do I feel as if this is all in my mind ?
I've never tried to whinge about the pain, I've just put up with it. Can mild DDD cause so much pain, tingling and numbness for so many years ?

• I'm guessing the reason that nobody has responded to you yet is becasue your MRI and EMG tests were negative other than the mild DDD. We would only be guessing what your symptoms might mean.

When you say you "tip" your head I presume you mean that it cracks and the tenseness goes away. I can speak to that, at least from my perspective. I used to have mild chronic neck pain and discovered that manually cracking my neck seemed to relieve the discomfort. I got into the habit of cracking my neck every day and sometimes more than once a day. Then I read that doing that yourself can lead to arthritis down the road so I quit and was no worse for not doing it. Whether that advice was strictly true or not, I believe that I was not doing myself any favor by cracking my neck just because I could.

Sorry, I can't speak to any of your other questions but it sounds like you are (or should be) followed by the VA for your problems.

Best wishes. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Same thing for me man, when my shoulder pain progressed to numbness/electric type pain into my shoulder blade and arm and face I got an MRI and an EMG. I was told the EMG looked fine and the MRI showed a bulged disc with signs of DDD at C6-C7, but there was nothing they could do.

Now 2 years later the pain is so bad I can't sit or sleep, or do much of anything. I kept thinking it was all in my mind too because they refused to help me. You need to somehow force them to take action, which I've been desperately trying.

Sometimes people with these symptoms can heal naturally, but after 2 years and it's gotten worse that obviously isn't an option for me.
  • Yes Steve, DDD can cause awful pain or discomfort, depending where it is for each person. I have had a fusion L2-L4, now have 2 more shot discs at L4-S1 and will need a fusion The pain is every day and located at the lower back. I also have severe DDD in the cervical spine, 3 levels, that will need to be taken care of. The pain and discomfort is totally different for the btwo areas. The lumbar is "just pain", whereas the neck/shoulders are tingling and uncomfortable/makes it hard to sleep.
    Good luck to you.