Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Employment ideas

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Hi everyone.

Firstly, i will introduce myself. My names Alan, Im 35 and have had 2 sets of surgery on my lower back and some more problems appearing.

Well, heres my questions - I keep getting jobs and keep losing them due to back problems. Its not particularly pleasant not knowing how long I will hold up everytime I get work.

Does anybody have any suggestions around jobs that do not impact the back greatly. So far i have tried call centre work (painful), Property sales (great for a while then painful due to not resting enough), Administration (long term seating), Cleaning (always something to lift or move). All of these seem to have an element of long term strain on the back from either being seated for a long period of time or standing for a long period of time.

As I have another 30 years (at least) of work does anybody have any ideas of what roles "work for you".

I have been speaking to a local university today so I am aware that I will probably have to study to achieve this. Im trying to narrow down a course to do.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

• Well, I would think you would want a job where you use your brain rather than your brawn!! A job where you could have the freedom to move around a bit, which could be just about any office job where you have some independence would be good. When my husband ruptured a disk, he spent a few minutes every hour lying down on the floor in his office. Sometimes when he had a meeting, he would stand. He had more pain when sitting, so he would talk on the phone standing, etc.a

You could meet with someone like an occupational therapist or a physiatrist to discuss what types of work you'll be able to do as you age.
  • I think this is a route i will follow as I know that this will advance (therapist)

I will probably become self employed. I have given in much thought over the last few days and have been planning on it for years!

Im just a bit of a loose end here... I havnt been out of work this long since I was 14!
  • What about a job as a consultant? This way, you can sit, stand, lie down, what ever you need to do to get through the day.

I have an office job. I LOOK for reasons to get up and move throughout the day - making copies, filing, running errands, hand-delivering documents in the building... luckily, I have a poition that does not require me to be at my desk 7.5 hours of every 8 hour shift.

Good luck to you. Hope you find your happy medium.

• Well, i think i may nearly have this resolved (I hope)

Got some work as a sales rep coming up. Should tick a lot of boxes regarding flexibility, presentations for sit up and sit down stuff and not being chained to a desk.

I just hope I can keep this one. This 3 months on, 3 months off work isn't doing my me any good at all.