Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 months from surgery

Sweetpotatoe57SSweetpotatoe57 Posts: 97
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I really am trying to be the best patient. But, it just seems that whenever I try to push things a bit farther, the pain sets in. I saw someone in PT with a fusion, and I don't have hardware, and we are both 5 months out, and she is doing better than me! I was laid up 1 year, where she was not, but my leg keeps getting pins and needles, and a tight feeling, buttox still hurts, and sitting is hard. The swelling is getting better, but I am tired of the Dr. saying 6 to 9 months for things to start to settle out. I did have a severe nerve compression, and I have had major improvements, but when does the pain end with every new thing? I did have muscle wasting, and my muscles did not work at all, and they do now, and my leg strength is really good now, so, is this all normal? How long does the pain after new exercises last? I am burned out, and I am worried about failed surgery. I had a Laminectomy, Foraminotomy, and Facetectomy at L5 S1, and major compression at S1. Looking for some hopeful answers that my surgery is not a loss. The Dr. just wants to wait for 6 to 9 months. Is the Neurosurgeon waiting to long to check things out? sweetpotatoe57

• Jan 19, 2009 and still am having nerve issues related to my fall and initial surgery on Sept 7, 2008.
    I also had spinal cord and nerve compression and have been told that the healing process is very slow and may take up to 2 years to finally see how much I will be left with.
    I have problems late in the day when the nerves and muscle tell me enough is enough.
    Always remember that everyone is an individual and we all heal differently - this is something I had to learn also, as I hae been very hard on myself expecting myself to be healed in weeks instead of months. I know it's a hard pill to swallow, but we all have to be patient.
    Good luck and keep your chin up - as long as the sun continues to rise, the day can only get better!
  • I am sox months out from a 2 level fusion and discetomey. I had instraments and I still have some real pain. My Dr has told me six months to a year. Lat week I had six week ck and he said more like a year, as I had pnuemonia for a month with IV antibiotics for 22 days. So basically I cant start PT for another month. So be paitient. It is a long recovery and you sound like you are on track. I am still on high dose pain meds. So feel good. You are on your way.
  • You already have significant improvement. Your muscles work now, you have leg strength. It is a long slow haul. Take it easy with the PT -- slow and steady wins the race. Don't push yourself too hard, or you'll have the one step forward, three steps back syndrome.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.