Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My Introduction - I am new to the Forum

DIFerrisDDIFerris Posts: 86
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello all,

I wanted to take a minute to introduce myself and tell you a little bit about me and my situation. I am sure my story is very familiar to a lot on here.

I suffered with 2 herniated discs (L4/L5 and L5/S1) for some years now. Been through countless rounds of PT, different pain meds, etc. Nothing helped. The numbness in my right leg and foot got so bad that I fell a couple of times. I constantly felt like a knife was in my hip. I was not able to sleep through the night due to horrendous cramps in my leg and foot.

Finally decided last year to see a neurosurgeon. Had my first surgery, a microdiscectomy, on August 14, 2008. Went through PT as part of recovery and felt like a new person. Five months later I was in pain again. This time the pain was different. Nerve pain shooting down the front of my right leg, numbness in my shin, and again the stabbing pain in my hip.

Had my second surgery on May 5, 2009. Same procedure as the first one. My NS told me I had a lot of scar tissue built up on the remaining disc and he cleaned it all out.

My pain, however, did not go away. In fact it got worse each day.

Another MRI and visit to my NS, and now I am scheduled for a PLIF on July 2nd.

My NS did say that he is only going to have to put the screws and rod on the right side and not both sides. I am totally new to this so I don't know what the implications of that are, or if it will cut down my recovery time.

This will be 3 surgeries in less than 1 year. I am frustrated, a little scared and mostly really tired of the pain.

I also have 3 bulging discs: C4, T8 and T9.

I have been scouring the posts here and have found wonderful tips and comforting stories of other people's journey though this.

I am glad I found you!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Hi Deanna

Welcome to spine-health forum, you will find plenty of information, support and maybe some advice you will find useful.

I hope your surgery on 2nd July goes well and wish you a speedy recovery.I hope it is successful in helping to ease the severe pain you are are experiencing.
    Looking forward to reading your future posts and following your progress.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Welcome to Spine Health. Sorry you are having to endure the surgery roller coaster. It's no fun and is very taxing on us physically, emotionally and mentally. The key to a better recovery is to prepare yourself as best as possible for the next surgery. Eat well, exercise in what ever manner you can, even if it is just short walks a day. Try not to focus on the big picture but to take a little slice at a time. I find that helps me. One thing my NS had me do is meet with a Nutritionist when I was constantly going through surgery after surgery in a short span of time. The Nutritionist was able to help me with a diet that was keyed in on healing from surgery. It helped me tremendously! It also helped my mental and emotional outlook, because I felt better and I also felt I was more in control of my healing.

Best wishes,

• It has definitely been a mentally taxing experience to recover from 1 surgery to find out another is needed. I am hoping there is an end to this cycle.

I do make sure that my diet is protein-oriented. I work out at the gym (well, when I am not recovering right after surgery). I started going back to the gym this week, if only to walk on the treadmill. I really can't do anything else right now as the pain afterward is almost more than I can stand.

I agree that good nutrition and exercise helps the mental state as well as promoting healing.

Thanks again for the warm welcome. I will post an update as I go along.
  • I found that I have to not focus on the past surgeries, but only the one in front of me. It gets too overwhelming if I try to take it all in. So I focus on the task at hand and do my best to prepare for it and I certainly don't worry about "what if there's more to come". If I worried about that, I would go insane.

Walking is awesome and it does help kick in the natural endorphins to fight pain. The Nutritionist put me on a high protein, high calorie, high vit C and Zinc diet with lots of water and green leafy vegetables too. Oatmeal for breakfast and Boost Shakes at least 2 times a day. Of course this was all tailored to my specific situation and metabolism, so your's will be specific to you.

Please keep us posted.