Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

question about MRI's post ACDF with or without contrast please help anyone

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

I just wanted to know if anyone knows this answer.. I had ACDF surgery almost 2 years ago and have had major complicatons post surgery. I have had several MRI"S with contrast post surgery.. They want to image my neck again for the 8th time with contrast and do another brain MRI with contrast. My concern is the contrast. I have allergy to it and have had so many I am worried of having another one. I also have had a few CT scans post surgery and a myelogram.. which I also have a reaction to iodine. My question is after having any spinal surgery with titanium hardware in the neck with screws can they do MRI without contrast.? Is it helpful or even possible. I was under the impression once you have had a fusion all the MRI's had to be with contrast. Please help me with this one. Thanks

• Some of the newer MRI machines give a good enough reading that it may not be necessary to do the contrast. The tech I had explained to me before we started that they seldom use contrast now, even on post surgical patients. I know that for my last MRI, they were not going to use the contrast until they decided they needed to enhance the readings in a certain area. Before you have the mri, maybe it would be wise to call around to different facilities to ask about this. Sorry you are still having problems meriting the need for another mri. I hope it gives your medical team some answers on how to treat you.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • every time i went back to my surgeon i had an x-ray and an mri done before i saw him without contrast.they showed me my mri's and they were all very clear and i could see everything they did.
  • I have had a mri after my fusion. They just need to know about the fusion but yes they can do them. I also had a ct myelogram and had a reaction too, I got a rash all over and my doctor treated me with steroids.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • I just had an MRI schedualed for me with contrast and without. Because of this thread I asked why and was told if the surgery was within the last 5 years they like to have with contrast because of scar formation