Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Rushed to ER with "seuzures'

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Pain Medications
I was rushed to the ER on Saturday, my roommate said I was having seizures, not the full blown thing, she said I was more like a fish out of water...Once I got to the ER and remembered some things- I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW MY AGE when the paramedics asked me...I don't remember falling out of my chair- I was kind of sitting at the computer.

Anyways, I got to the ER and the doctor said that the combination of cymbalta and ultram ER has been known to cause seizures. All my tests were normal, just wanted to put the warning out there in case anyone takes that combination. My ultram is currently in the garbage waiting for pick-up. I have fainted a zillion times but NEVER not remembered anything at all! Just a word and it doesn't mean it will happen to everyone with this combo. Thank God the dog was barking hysterically and got my roomie aware of what was going on!

• Thanks for the heads up on the combination of meds; sorry you have "first hand" knowledge, though.

Are you feeling better today? What does your doc have to say about all this? Did he not warn you of the dangers of this combo or did he not know?

Wow. I'm glad you made it through, though!

• I take Cymbalta but with ms contin. Thanks for the tip for others though. Quite a scary experience for you and your roomie. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I feel a bit better, I am exhausted! Trying to work through quitting the Ultram ER completely cold turkey, but I'm not touching it again! It scared the poo out of me. First thing I remember is my roomie telling me that the paramedics were there and I said, what for? She said you fell out of the chair and were on the ground and I said, no I didn't! Don't remember, apparently I fell out of the chair and also slumped over and out of it again!

The doctor probably had an idea but I don't think it is common, the ER doctor said that it has been known to happen. She (the ER doctor) said it was probably a combo of the two meds and a urinary tract infection. I haven't talked to my doctor about it YET because I go in next Tuesday so I'm just going to wait. It's so much easier to talk to the doctor face to face than go through the nurse, every experience I've had so far tells me that. I also want him to see the new MRI I took where my discs are blackening.

But my neck is killing me from hitting my head on the ground a couple of times! And I thought I was supposed to be hard-headed, LMAO!! All my muscles have been sore from head to toe, including my hips, probably from the twitching I did! Scooby, the dog that got her, is my new hero!

Thanks so much Jeaux- send me a PM and let me know how things are!

Charry, thank you so much for your response and well wishes! I sincerely hope this doesn't happen to anyone else ever!!
  • You CANNOT take Ultram with anti-depressants. The reaction can actually be fatal. It can range from just facial tics, seizure, to death. I have posted this and many people have responded, "I've taken it and had no problems." Good for them, but it can happen at any time even if you've had no problems in the past.

I am sorry this happened to you. But at least now you know what the problem is. Hopefully you and your doc will be able to find a different pain med for you that does not interact with anti-depressants in the same way!

• I really appreciate that, I will print them and bring them to him! I am a fainter, always have been since I was little, but that was in noooo way me fainting!! I had never woken up from fainting and not known how old I was or what had happened OR been unaware that anything had happened...It was really, really scary! I hope my post will help one person and the articles supplied by this wonderful nurse will add better weight to what I said! Besides, it's bad for any spine to fall down, and I'm sure I fell right on my head...I still feel like I was hit by an 18-wheeler!

But like I said, if it helps one person, I'm happy! It was scary stuff!

On an off note, it is irritating me that I spelled seizure wrong!
  • I had been on Ultram ER for almost a YEAR before this happened!
  • I have noticed that little twitches I had before when I was on the Ultram ER have disappeared...Also, those who say they have been on it for a while with no problems, I WAS ON IT FOR A YEAR!!!

Please, Please, Please be careful!!! I have to have an EEG now!!
  • Fancypants(btw, I really like the name!),

I really am glad you had help at home when a big event happened. I also admire your efforts to warn everyone else! Like you said, if it can help one person, it's worth every post you make.

Funny that your roommate described you as a fish out of water(well, not funny but interesting.) I had a seizure earlier this year(long story, not serotonin response tho) and my 12 year old described it to 911 like I was a fish flopping out of water.

Anyway, just wanted to say I'm glad your symptoms are resolving and thank you for helping pass the word. Some folks receive their pain meds from one doc but anti-depressant from another, so the two docs may not even be aware of the meds. Some docs are not even aware of the potential interactions(they can't know everything I guess.)

Take Care!
  • The interaction of Ultram and certain anti depressants is given out with every prescription. All patients should read the drug information provided by your pharmacies , especially to look for interactions with other medications, red flag symptoms that signal drug reactions, and just to know how to take your medications and when.
    That is why the pharmacies print it off each time you have a medication filled.
    I'm glad that you are okay now, but it could have had disastrous outcomes, so you were very lucky.
    Your PM should have known about the interactions.
    Also, make sure that all doctors that you see know exactly, every single medication , over the counter and prescribed that you are taking.
  • I do research everything I take before I do it...And doctors do a risk/benefit analysis before prescribing it so he must have decided the benefits outweighed the risks...I love my PM doc, I'm not happy about the seizure, but he is a kind and loving and really good person who has been great to me (considering my financial situation, etc.)...He knows I am on Cymbalta and is the ONLY doctor I see for medication, unless it's a cold and I always tell them everything...

I'm not new to the PM game, been like this for 5 years now. I go to a small pharmacy and he handles all of my prescriptions and knows me by name. With many meds there is a risk/benefit analysis that doctors take into account and then ultimately make their decision. I'm not going to walk in there and chew him out, but I will tell him I will NOT go on Ultram again! I just want people to be careful...It was scary, never mind exhausting and painful as heck!!
  • I don't think the migraines I've been having helped anything in that regard either, as I read those can cause seizures as well.
  • I know from first hand experience that Ultram will cause seizures. Even if you have been taking it for a period of time, you can have a seizure from it. IMO I would not take it anymore, but I am not a doctor so never stop any med before consulting with your doctor. Best of luck to you and I hope you have many pain free days ahead of you! :H
  • I was saying this about the potential dangers of mixing antidepressants (and certain other meds, like MAOIs) with tramadol just the other day on another thread. I don't understand why doctors continue to prescribe these cocktails and not even mention the possible dangers to patients. When I first started on tramadol back in 1995 I was also prescribed Prozac and Demerol without so much as a word of warning. Not everyone will have seizures from this kind of combination, but the potential for them (or worse) is certainly there.
  • My family doctor knew all of my medications, but put me on Ultram ER despite the warnings and never mentioned the warnings of taking SSRI's with Ultram. When I went to my biannual visit with my rheumatologist, he was very upset I was put on that combo. Needless to say, my rheumy handles all of my pain medications now.

Yes, we need to read the warnings ourselves, but we also need to be able to depend on our doctors to provide us with the info. Even though I am a nurse, when I am in pain I can't function that well and rely more on my docs. A lesson to be learned.......

Thank you for posting this fancy pants (I love that name as well!)

• I had the same reaction last February. I was taking zoloft and Ultram ER and was taken to the hospital by ambulance. They were not totally sure what happened because my parents found me unresponsive after I repeatedly did not answer my phone. I was also on norco and the paramedics tried to give me narcon (thinking I took too many opiates)which did nothing. Evidently on the way to the emergency room they gave me a bunch of ativan on the way to the hospital because I began to sieze again. I don't remember any part of it, but never the less, I go to a different PM doctor and am much happier.
  • glad i found this :) since my surgery in jan 2008 i have a lump in my throat that never goes away
    nuerologist sent me to ent something got messed up and this wont go away my ear goes numb too so a little nerve damage
    well the choking sensation i guess caused a few panic attacks
    this week i had them everyday for hours so dr put me on celexa and gave me a 100 mg dose of gabapentin to take during the day
    i am on tramadol but didnt take it all week thinking that the combo of celebrex 300mg of gabapentin and 50 mg of tramadol was maybe causing the attacks
    am having nausea but im stressed and a little diareha
    wont restart the tramadol now ;)
    how long does it usually take for celexa to work and for you body to maybe get over some of the side effects
    just 20mg a day andwill have to take at night cuz i am a zombie still had the attacks but didnt care much i know all meds take type to stabalize and your body to adjust but i am a bit concerned to have this at my age never had them before my fusion
  • Antidepressants like Celexa need to be taken for at least a couple of weeks or so before any beneficial effects are felt. There is a potential for negative effects (possibly seizures) when combining tramadol and Celexa, as they both affect the body's serotonin levels. If anxiety is a problem, a more calming drug such as diazepam might help. I always felt like a hyperactive zombie while on gabapentin, but I know reactions vary from person to person. It's possible that the Celebrex is contributing to any stomach upset and nausea you may be feeling (an antacid may help with this).