Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Exercise before surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm just wondering if there are any recommendations for some exercises before surgery. I don't have a lot of time left but I was hoping something is better than nothing. I'll be having a laminectomy/discetomy on the 18th for a ruptured l5-s1 that is filling about 1/3 of the spinal column and displacing s1 and s2 nerves. I've tried some plank moves and am working the arms since I figure I'll be using them alot to help move at first and did some stretching and abs in the pool. I'm trying to stretch the hamstring of the side that hurts and lower back and I can't believe how hard it is now. It's like I'm telling my body to do something but the part isn't hearing it. Other than that, I'm just trying to prepare at home and work for this upcoming "adventure" My boss is being a real jerk, it's like he thinks I'm going on vacation or having some elective cosmetic surgery or something. Everyone else is very supportive though and I'm trying not to focus on the negative. Hope everyone is doing as well as they can be right now.

• Are you able to walk? If you can, it remains the best over-all exercise for you. It will keep the spinal nerves stretched out and it will provide fresh, oxygenated blood to the injured area. You will also maintain some conditioning, which will leave you soon enough when you have the surgery.

It is important to keep your legs strong as you will now use them any time you need to "bend over." Otherwise, anything that doesn't hurt too much is probably OK, in moderation.
  • I am sorry that your boss is being a jerk. While I wouldn't say my boss was a jerk about my short term disability, he wasn't sympathetic.

Like Gwennie mentioned, I would try to walk if possible.

Good luck on your discectomy!
  • I had a severe compression at L5 S1, and could not walk, or get out of bed. The surgeon put me in PT, and before my surgery, they got me up and walking again, doing stretches, building up my arms, as you do need to use them after surgery to lift youself up, and worked on getting my legs strong enough to use them again. It was really hard work, and very painful, but everything was geared around getting me ready, and strong for my surgery. I actually was able to walk for about 2 hours, holding on to someone or a shopping cart, and could do hamstring, piriformis, and adductor stretches. You really need someone to show you what you can and can't do. The Dr. told me that some exercises might not be good to do, and some would help, so he sent me to a really good place, with all my reports, EMGs, and what surgery we were going to be doing. I am so thankful for all that was done, as you really do need to use your legs, and arms, more than I ever thought. Goodluck with everything. Its a long road to recovery, more than I thought!! But, I am still in PT and working hard, and if it was not for the exercises before, I would have been lost. But, I was laid up for 1 year before hand, so I really had a long way to go. Let us know how you make out. This is such a great place, and I have learned so much from everyone here. sweetpotatoe57

• I also want to mention, that because you can do some of these exercises many different ways, you do need a professional to show you the ones to do, and the position that will not compromise your spine. You also need to keep your spine neutral, and have your Dr. refer you. Just my thoughts, as I am not a Dr. sweetpotatoe57