Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Problems post laminectomy discectomy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi-I'm new to this forum. Two weeks ago I had a laminectomy microdiscectomy and bone spur removal. Prior to the surgery,I had severe sciatic pain in the left leg. Post surgery, most of the pain is gone, but I'm using a cane to walk. As a matter of fact, I cannot walk without the cane. I can stand on my toes and have no problems with the heels of my foot. However, my left leg doesn't appear to support my weight. I cannnot push off when attempting to take the first step without support, either from the cane or wall or some other assistive device. Has anyone had this problem? Is there some hope? So far, no PT has been recommended by my neurosurgeon.

• Much too early in the healing process to start worrying. Those nerves get moved around (retracted) during surgery (not to mention the compression they have been under for however long you've had your symptoms) so it could take awhile for them to heal and return to normal. Typically 3 months go by before a surgeon starts to get concerned. That is my understanding FWIW. I hope you get a better result than I did. Everyone is different.
  • Swelling and inflamation are peaking right now.
    It's going to take awhile!
    Plus, the nerve will be attempting to "wake up".

How long was a disc compressing the nerve?
    Which level(s) did they work on?

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • The NS worked on L4/L5. Sciatic began in January,09. Began PT in February, no relief. Three ESI's beginning late March--one ESI every two weeks, along with prescription for Vicodin and Neurontin 900 mg/daily. Saw NS in May 22 and he recommended surgery a week later. According to NS office, I should be able to ambulate without a cane, but it's not working.
  • I am 4 weeks post a 3 level laminectomy. The pain in both my legs is gone but the last two weeks I have been experiencing weird nerve sensations which are sometimes in my feet, legs, hips and or lower back. I do have pain however in my lower back which I believe is due to the actual surgery. I go to see my NS next week to discuss PT-rehap which I hope helps with the back pain I am now experiencing. I also liked my cane but found in the last 10 days or so I really did not need it.
    Have patience as I always have to remind myself also. Good luck in your recovery.
    Nana Shan :H