Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello all

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all, I am new to this site. I have been having back and neck pain for about 3 years with a constant headache. I have been seeing my DR to work on the headaches when my back hurt so bad one day I couldn't get out of bed. I had an MRI and found out today that I have to have a 3 level fusion at L3-4 L4-5 and L5-S1. I am a 29 year old mother of 3. For the last 3 years I have felt like I am 129 not 29. I am scared and I was told I have to have the surgery done ASAP as my spinal nerve roots are being crushed. I heard it takes a year to recover. Please share stories or advice. I don't really know what to expect.

• Welcome to Spine Health. I had a 3-level fusion done in November of last year. Same levels as you are having. The beginning of the recovery was really hard, but I'm a little over six months out now and am actually feeling pretty well. I feel great compared to how I felt before surgery. Yes, I'm a bit stiff and I move more slowly than I did before, but man -- no more extreme jolts of electric pain. It is a scary thing, but I think in the long run you will be glad you had the surgery. You're much too young to live the rest of your life in terrible pain. Heck, I'm 54 and I'm too young! Keep reading the forums here. There's lots of good information and one of the moderators will no doubt welcome you and give you some good advice.

All the best,

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I had a 3 level fusion in January and have been back to work/off all restrictions for several months now. No issues so far doing good.

It takes time to recover and everyone heals/recovers differently.

• I had a combo of disc replacement L4-L5and disc fusion L5-S1. Went in 5/11/09 home 5/14/09. This was the best decision I had ever made!!! I had so much damage that I couldn't leave the house alone because I would occationally fall down in public. Very imbaressing for my five children. I could't do anything with my children without paying for it the next few days. I was fed up with being depressed and having life pass me by. If I didn't have surgery, doc says I would be in a wheelchair withing 5 years. Needless to say, sugery went great and I am now walking over a mile a day. Pain is 75% better than before the surgery.This was not a cure but a attemp to make my quality of life better. I'll say!!!!!
    Good luck with your surgery and keep us posted.

Favorite Quote;

"You can visit pity city but your not allowed to live there"

39 yr. old mother of 5 Children, 20,19,14,14,9
    Lumbar strains: 1995, 1997, 1998

Major injury: 2002, 2 herniated disc w/tears, DDD, Spinal Stenosis, Major nerve damage in both legs. Treatments included: Celebrex, Bextra, Ralaphin, Flexril, Naproxin, Motrin, Ultram, Steroid injections, Nerve Blocks, Physical Therapy, Aqua Therapy, specific exercise regimen, loss of 70 lbs.

Surgery: May 2009 ALIF of L5-S1 with titanium cage and 4 screws, no bone,Pro-Disc at L4-L5
    Current Meds: Vicadin 5mg/500, daily aspirin, calcium supplement, senicot, bone growth stimulator

• I am nervous because I have heard that the recovery is horrible. I am afraid it will be untolerable as far as pain. I take a lot of meds now and I am afraid that I will not have any pain control after the surgery and the pain will be too extreme. I am really scared. I should find out this week when I see the surgeon and when it will actually be scheduled. I really like this site to hear other people who have acually been through this.