Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

how long do u need to wait for "relations?"

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
ADULTS ONLY.

i have done a forum search about back pain/surgery and "relations" (okay, sex, i said it) aftewards, but they all seem to have been posted and discussed at least months ago. i'd like to open a discussion again, because my surgery is friday and i need advice.

i am a female. age 25. will be having L5/S1 fusion surgery from the front (anterior). embarrassed to ask my doctor (yet not embarrassed to ask mass public, hmmmm...) about my sex life afterwards.

anyone who had similar fusion surgery--did your doctor broach the "relations" topic at all? did you ask? and how long did you wait to "do it" after the surgery? are you still waiting because it hurts too much? any advice or tips in general when it comes to the actual act? i don't want pain, don't want him to feel guilty for putting me in pain, but also want to have a "love" life! we will be getting married this october! it can't end already!
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,060
    But your question and topic comes up so many times. People even doctors are sometime afraid to discuss this situation.
    I dont have the answers, but I do know it is a topic that should be discussed with your doctor from a health and safety point.
    My wife runs a Pulmonary Rehab center and deals with COPD patients... Many are in the 70's and the topic of sex comes up often. There are always safe ways to do this.
    For Spinal patients recently fused, you just need to ask your doctor how long? before we can?
    Your doctor should and needs to address this type of situation. It sounds like you want the answers, so its just a matter of getting your doctor to talk to you about this .

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I didn't even think about asking questions on the topic of sex because I was in so much pan before surgery.

My surgeon's assistant told me how long (2 weeks) we should wait to have sex. She brought up the topic and at the first post Op visit, she reminded me that we could start having sex.

I had microdiscectomy.
  • when the time is right. I had a three-level fusion and it's not something I would have even considered for the first two and a half months, but I was so horribly stiff and painful. Hopefully, it will be a much easier recovery for you and you will be able to get back to your normal love life much sooner.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I was told sex was fine so long as I wasn't the one doing any of the work ;)
  • but it wasn't much fun until i reached the 3 month mark. let the other one do the work.
  • (microdiscectomy and 2 level fusion), I never asked any of my surgeons about post op sex :D I figured I'd give it a try when waiting was no longer an option from my hubby's point of view...JUST KIDDING... :D Actually I let it happen when I was comfortable. Honestly I can't remember when exactly it was when I tried...maybe 2 months after? Having sex after a fusion is like climbing Mt Everest- very difficult. Candidly I must say that the "spoon" position is best and that you should let your partner do all the "work". NO missionary....the one with the back problem shouldn't be on the bottom I think....or is it the top? :? I did read this a long time ago in a library book but forgot the title. Also, I suggest taking your pain med 30 minutes before so it's in your system when you're ready to go.

That's all folks ;)
  • We tried the first time at about 2 months. My hubby was scared of hurting me and it was a little uncomfortable for me but I hung in there. We tried again a few weeks later and it was better that time...even though he was still concerned about hurting me. I was OK though. Just take it slow. My doctor was going to do a L1-S1 fusion and said that the S1 would make me tilt a different way and that sex might be a little "different" for us. He ended up stopping at L5 though and I think through time we will be OK. good luck to you. I'm sure you will be fine in time.
  • Just tell him you are saving yourself for the wedding! Ok, realistically you will know when you are ready but please ask your doctor. Each person is different and every surgery is too. Congratulations and Best Wishes
  • You are so young. I can only tell you about my own experience. I had a PLIF L4-5 but it was a long complicated surgery. After I read your post, I went back on this forum to check my earlier posts and I saw that at 2 months post op I was worried because my "drive" wasn't what it used to be. Now this may sound a little funny to you at 25 but yes, at 57 we are still "doing it!" And most of us have gotten quite good at "it" LOL.

Anyway, so much of it will depend on your pain and recovery levels. When you are "ready" you will know it. I think your body is the best indicator in terms of "when" it's ok. My doc didn't discuss this with me but I kinda figured it out myself. Ends up that I think I was around 10 weeks post op that all systems "were go" and it was a shaky takeoff. I was still very tender and my hub and I had to work on different positions on the "launch pad." Hope you don't mind the euphemisms. (sp??)

Go easy. There are ways of "taking off" that don't necessarily hurt your back so you might consider some test launches first. Really, this is getting so funny I can't believe the way I'm dancing around the issue but......this is a public forum.

You have the rest of your life to have "take offs" but only one back. Don't push yourself. Just let it sorta occur naturally. I sincerely believe that your body, which will be going through surgery soon, will signal when it's time. It's not about how long you wait or how quickly you "launch." Ron (one of the moderators) replied to my original post that the best approaches is to encourage lots of gentle hugs and kisses and enjoy the intimacy of holding hands and just being together. As usual, he is so right.

You will be fine. Concentrate on your surgery and recovery. Listen to your back and relax a little. I can assure that that there will be tons of successful "launches" in your future. I'm more than old enough to be your mom and I'm firing on all cylinders - you will just have to be a little careful of your back in recovery. You are in my thoughts and if you have any more specific questions, I am available anytime. Just PM me. Best of luck to you.
  • I am 2 weeks post op PLIF L4L5. It's early morning and I'm waiting for my husband to wake up. I'm lying here wondering, "hmmm, maybe I'm ready". After reading all these posts though, I'm a bit scared off.
    Trudi1962
  • LindaMacLLindaMac Posts: 49
    edited 08/14/2014 - 11:03 AM
    I just had my preop admit for a PLIF L5S1 fusion and in the booklet the hospital gave me it said that there was a booklet available on sexual intimacy and that if interested one should ask the physio to borrow it.
    LindaMac
  • Two weeks post op.... and it worked! Having a gentle, considerate partner is the key. Making it 'work' was kind of funny, and I know it's something we'll laugh about in years to come :-)
    Trudi1962
  • Two weeks post op.... and it worked! Having a gentle, considerate partner is the key. Making it 'work' was kind of funny, and I know it's something we'll laugh about in years to come Smile
    Trudi1962
  • FordsteelFFordsteel Posts: 3
    edited 08/14/2014 - 8:27 PM
    I had a C1-C2 fusion which is much different than your situation but in the two weeks preceding the surgery while my C-2 was still broken and unfused after the car accident i had alot of "relations" (almost every day for two weeks) and it didnt kill me and didnt hurt noticeably more than anything. But The fracture ended up getting displaced and prompted the surgery. Dont know if it was related to the sex or my short lived smoking habit after the wreck probly a combo but my doctor said any jarring motions are detrimental even now after the fusion. Im now just about 6 weeks after my fusion surgery and im still pretty gun shy about doing anything physical. It wont kill you but personally i dont believe its conducive to keeping everything lined up and strong. non of us is superman and what we do physically has extreme affects on healing even for healthy young and strong individuals such as ourselves (im 19 ) i learned that the hard way. .
advertisement