Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What are your most difficult taks day to day?

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Depression and Coping
Each of us who have had spinal problems or have had some type of spinal surgery fully understands that many of the daily , sometimes simple tasks that others can do is very difficult for us.
Does that make us strange?
Just says that we have a more difficult time doing some tasks.
But perhaps, because we cant' do some taaks easily we exceed at others

Ok, here are the daily tasks that I have problems with:

- Putting my belt on ... I cant reach beyind to make sure I go through all the loops.

- Putting socks on. Thats why I love the summer here. I can forget socks until Sept/Oct

- Amything that makes me reach my arms more than 90 degrees of straight out from my body

These are the ones I can think about right nwo... I would love to hear from others
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Hi Ron

I can really appreciate how hard you find those everyday things.
    I think I find taking clothes off more difficult then putting them on, and often struggle with a t shirt or jumper. Sitting on the bed I can normally just about reach my feet to get socks on during winter months, trousers are hard as my knees don't bend very well. When registering disabled in 1993 I was asked by the interviewer how I did certains everyway tasks, after she finished the interview she laughed and said 'You have been adapting all your life, nothing you do is the way others people tackle things' she couldn't believe how well I managed to get by without help. This was confirmed by a school friend who had know me since childhood. 'oh yeah! Liz you alway did things funny, but you did them'
    My spine was kind to me till 1992, then started complaining, maybe I asked too much of it, because of my past years of adapting I now know I will get 'there' somehow.
    PS I think a bra is my biggest challenge LOL

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Okay - for me --

Loading and unloading the dishwasher
    Pulling wet laundry out of the washer and putting it in the dryer
    Driving (I have to move my left leg in different positions to not bring on pain)
  • Okay - for me --

Loading and unloading the dishwasher
    Pulling wet laundry out of the washer and putting it in the dryer
    Driving (I have to move my left leg in different positions to not bring on pain)
  • It's funny how much we take for granted....most people would never understand how hard the simplest of tasks can be for us and how exciting it is when we do something simple on our own!

1) Dressing/undressing. I agree with Liz there. I just let anything waist down go to the floor and use my claw to pick it up and I'm thankful for that sock devise to help with socks! I agree with Ron, now we can skip the socks, yea!

2)Preparing a meal for my family...getting what I need w/o reaching, bending or lifting, the standing to cook, ect. but I want to do it.

3) Getting in/out of the car. It's better than yesterday but not where I want to be! I still can't get in my van and can't wait for that day!

4)Mostly...Accepting the fact I can't do so many things I use to, want to do. Every day I think learning to accept the challenges of how hard life is for us is hard.

But on the bright side....just because I'm proud of this:
    1)I have enough strength to use the can opener by myself. I can open cans w/o help now! Such a simple task we take for granted!

2)I can wash my hair, shower, dress myself, slowly but surely, and recently it doesn't wipe me out just to do this!

3)I can walk 1.5 miles, give or take, in an hour. When I started walking 1/4 mile in an hour wiped me out! Progress is wonderful!

Thanks for another good post Ron!

• I find it hard to roll over in bed and get out of it. Getting dressed: putting on a bra is no fun but I'd be breaking the law by not wearing one :D Putting on pants, socks, shoes are difficult.

Getting in and out of the shower is hard because I climb over the bath tub side. Those Premier Baths come in handy in this situation.

I learned the safest and easiest way from PT to get in and out of the car but again it is painful and difficult.

Walking down steps is hard for me and I have to be really careful not to bust my a@@ again (I already took 3 tumbles in the last 2 years- I strongly DON't recommend trying it :''(

Loading the dishwasher or washer and dryer seems to be a hard task for most of us too.

The worst is kneeling down...I learned to avoid that because I need help getting up, and it also hurts my back and leg.
  • It's so true, rolling over, getting out of bed, and I wear sports bras for work, they're so hard to get on/off!!! The sock thing is so true as well, and sadly, I have to wear them under my boots, which to get those on and off is another misadventure in it itself. So, I guess, in general, just getting out of bed and ready for work is my most difficult task, collectively. Mornings are the bane of my existence... til I have my Tim Horton's coffee!!! :))(
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own