Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery April 15th.....then pulmonary embolism May 7th

suz71ssuz71 Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all. I had my acdf C5-6 surgery on Apr 15th, immediately after the surgery the stabbing pain I had in my shoulder blade was gone! I've also started to get feeling back in my pinky and ring fingers. Unfortunately a few weeks after my surgery I got a sinus infection that really knocked me out for about two days. I had a bad fever and was unable to move. About 5 days later I started having some pain in the right side of my chest. I figured that my sinus infection had spread to my chest as it had happened before. The following morning the pain was terrible with each breath. I made an appointment with my primary care doctor, but soon realized if I didn't get to the ER I wouldn't make it. I could barely breathe. My husband rushed me to the ER where I was diagnosed with multiple bilateral pulmonary embolisms and infarction. I was told I was very lucky and could have died! I'm still out of work recovering. I hope to go back in a few weeks. The doctors didn't think at first I could have had the PE because I am only in my 30's. The determined that it was probably due to the fact that I was on YAZ birth control and the lack of activity from the surgery/sinus infection. IF I had it to do over I would have stopped taking YAZ prior to surgery to avoid this complication. I was so scared and I am still dealing with the emotional issues that come from nearly dying. I hope that my story can help others learn about the dangers of estrogen based birth control prior to surgery.

• I'm glad you are here to share your story with us! That is scary! I'm glad you went to ER to get the help you needed. My husband had PE a few years ago, very dangerous, at any age, but after surgery I'm sure it was harder for you.

I will remember the info you share with us about taking estrogen bc before surgery and pass it on.

Take care of yourself and keep in touch. By the way, how are you feeling otherwise, do you feel like your surgery hs been successful so far?

• I think the surgery was a success. I'm still not 100% though. Having the embolisms really set me back. I've started walking on the treadmill again and feel a little better each day. Some days better than others though. I've been very tired which I've been told is probably from the embolisms. I notice each morning when I wake I have terrible pain in both shoulders, but it goes away after I've been up for a while. I'm not sure if it is from the way I am sleeping or what. I hope it just goes away.