Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new member here

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi my name is Mark
I am 50 years old I had fusion disc surgery
2 titanium cages put in back in 1998 it was very
successful except for the staff infection I got 10
days after the surgery
my fusion surgery was on l3 and l4
since then I have been having alot of pain on & off
with my leg & lower back
I am now scheduled for surgery on june 30 to have
anterior fusion on l5 s1 with a cage and plate put
thanks for the site , thanks for listening & wish me

• Best of luck to you with your upcoming surgery. I hope it provides you some relief from the leg and back pain.

• it's great that you've come to this web cite. you'll be able to communicate with so many people with back issues. are you able to walk at all? how have you been spending these days before the surgery?
  • Hey pete thanks for the note .
    I have been working up until now & trying to
    manage the pain I am used to standing on my feet so
    I am not too uncomfortable working
    Sitting for long periods of time is what really gets to
    me. I own a flower shop & have to sons at home that keep
    me moving all the time. It looks like you really have had
    some surgeries yourself. My first surgery 11 years ago
    was a nightmare. I came out of the surgery in great shape
    but 10 days later i got a staff infection & had to go back
    in & be reopened & then be at home with a home iv for 3 months
    anyway, I started having pain about 3 years after my surgery
    which never got better with shots , chiropractor, physical
    therapy I finally went in may to my ortho & had an mri done
    & he said i needed the surgery for my L5 S1
    good luck
    and thanks

• thanks c
    hope everthing is ok with you
    thanks for the reply
  • it's good you've been active. you have done this before so you know what's coming.
    I too had an infection after surgery 3 years ago. the surgeon was explaining has plan of going in again and cleaning out the infection. he kept knocking on the wooden desk after every few sentences. The knocking on wood move before the surgery scared the dickens out of me. 8> well don't be too worried as long as surgeon doesn't knock on wood! knocking on wood worked and i recovered.
    after what you went through last time the odds are in your favor for a very successful surgery.
    keep busy and best of luck....pete
  • Hello Mark,
    Sorry you're in need of surgery,but glad you found us,you'll find lots of stories here,some good some not so.But I think everybody here "gets it",how frustrating,and painful life can be when you have a spine problem.Be a good boy and do what your Doc tells you....and Take care Sagehen