Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PM Doctor Behaving Badly

mazie456mmazie456 Posts: 36
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Pain Management
Hello Fellow Spineys...

I am so angry right now I need to vent a little bit so I came here, I hope you all don't mind. I am pretty sure what I am going to do but I want to run this by people who could be in my shoes.
Three weeks ago I had the flu, I was so sick I missed my PM appt, and forgot to call them to cancel it. I was ~very~ sick, in 2.5yrs I have ~never~ missed or broken or rescheduled an appointment, or even been late. But when I say I was sick, I mean I had a 102 fever for 7 days straight. I did not move from my bed except to go to the bathroom and I simply forgot the appointment existed.
When they called me the following week I explained to the girl how sick I was, I still was sick, I told her I needed to make it for a week later because I didnt want to make anyone sick.
This Tuesday I go to my appointment and my doctor is wicked nasty that I did not call to cancel. I told him I was sick, he just ignored me and went on to say it was time to cut back on all of my meds. When I asked him why he said he did not have an update from my surgeon. I said I would have one sent to him. Then he said well, your surgeon would not want you on this level of medicine for this long anyway. I just didn't say anything, I know it has nothing to do with my surgeon, he did not refer me to this PM. I have been in PM for 8yrs, I have been on the same dose of meds for probably 5yrs.
My husband went to pick up my Lyrica yesterday, other things should have been there but they did not give them to him. I called the office and the nurse said to me he ordered Voltaren and Protonix also. He never discussed those meds with me, at all. I am on Coumadin, I can not take Voltarin, and I told him that months ago. The nurse said it was not in my file so apparently he did not write it down. Fortunately I know enough to not take Voltaren. What if I didn't?? Hopefully the pharmacy would say something!! The nurse asked me if he discussed it with me, I told her he did not mention it, not a word. She sounded shocked, said he should have. Well, he didn't. And Protonix, I already take that. I was so angry when I hung up. I am so upset that this man, this 'doctor' behaved this way, I do not understand it. I want to find another PM doctor asap. When I left he told me to make an appointment for 8 weeks but he was putting me on the "on call list" so we can start decreasing the Fentanyl patch and MSIR. I find it odd to decrease the baseline ~and~ the breakthru med all at once? I think he is behaving very badly, and I want a new doctor.
Anyone have any advice how to handle this situation before this doctor does anything else? Is a broken appointment cause for all of this??
Sorry for the novella, I am just at a loss....
Fused L2-3 to S1 and at C5-6. I have a central herniation @ T11-12 and multiple bulging discs in my thoracic. I also have fibromyalgia and suspected arachnoiditis, awaiting my results of a recent MRI.

• I cannot believe a grown man would behave this way! But they do. Lots.

It's sad you had to be on that end of the storm, though...

Being habitually late and/or missing appointments for any reason can cause docs to get a little "miffed" and come across as such...

But you said this is the first time in over 2 years you've done this and that you are always on time for appointments. Sounds to me like you are a pretty considerate patient. Maybe his anger was misdirected at you - he may have had several patients before you with some lame excuse, or running out of meds early, etc., and by the time he got to you, he'd had enough. Maybe things in his personal life aren't going too well. Maybe he counted on the $$ he would have made with your appointment, and since you did not keep it, he was out of that $$. Who knows why people do what they do. These days, with this economy, it does not take much, does it?

It's a good thing you knew enough to not take the Voltaren. I have to confess, I know nothing about that medication.

I would definitely gauge his mood on your next appointment. Maybe give him the benefit of a doubt that he was having an off-day. If he still treats you badly, then run - don't walk - to the nearest yellow pages (at least whatever it is that resembles running for us!).

I sure hope that whatever it was that had you sick has passed and you are feeling better. And, I hope things have smoothed over with Dr. Bad Attitude on your next visit. Let us know, okay?

• I just lost my previous post X( Anyway as I was saying, schedule an appt with another PM doctor around the time of your 8 week follow up with your old one. If you have any proof of seeing a doctor when you had the flu, go ahead and bring it- meds, bill, etc. Your current PM should cut you some big slack because it's your only missed appt with a good reason in about 3 years.

I can't say that I'm shocked at what happened- we hear similar stories like this and it shouldn't be this way. You haven't been irresponsible or unreliant, or called in refills too early or lost scripts. There's no reason for your doctor to go off the deep end with you. If he doesn't change his tune it's time to go elsewhere.

Did you get your scripts refilled when this happened, and did he already decrease your meds? This is really unfair and I'm sorry you are going through this.
  • I just had an appointment this morning with mine. All I needed was Soma but he wanted me to come in for an appointment even though I was just there 3 weeks ago. At that time he danced around the prescription and wanted me to try the Fenanyl patch every 2 days instead. That's fine but it does NOT help with the spasms!!!

So, this morning he was reluctant to write for it (since he is currently being investigated for some unethical prescribing practices, etc.). Then he went on to say that according to my pharmacy sheet, I have been on Soma for 2 1/2 years straight. I denied that. I have been seeing him since February and he has NEVER written for Soma. And I have been on and off it more than continously on it.

Then he said that if my upcoming injection on 6/25 doesn't help he will have to "ship me off" since there is nothing more he can do for me.

He said to try the Baclofen again. I was just so shocked and pissed, I just took it and left. When I went to drop it off at the pharmacy, I noticed it was for the same exact dose as last time. He didn't even try increasing it to see if it helps.

He OBVIOUSLY does not give a $%*! about me. That is quite clear!

I am now searching for a new PM dr. that takes my insurance.
    Although, I will let him do the final injection (he says it is an isolated C-5/C-6 steroid injection opposed to the 2 regular ESI's I already had). This one will be placed through the side of my neck.

Gggrrrr...I am so frustrated and in pain.

Wow - I vented too!!! :O

I hope you find a Dr. that actually cares about you too.

• I seriously think you should abandon that sinking ship- if your PM doctor is being investigated for unethical prescribing, there's a chance that his clinic may be shut down. The worst part is that it is very difficult to get in with another PM clinic/Dr. if you're coming from a doctor in that situation. I would leave before it happens, that's just my opinion.

Also, how can he say if the next injection don't help that you'll be let go? It is a 50/50 chance of success when it comes to ESI's or other spinal injections.

Where you on Baclofen before changing to Soma? Some doctors think Soma is very addictive. I used to take it before being switched to zanaflex. I also was on Fentanyl patches 100mcg every 2 days but it didn't help with relieving muscles spasms. I always needed to have a muscle relaxer.

Well, I hope things work out for you too. Take care
  • Thanks for your reply.

I have never tried Baclofen. This is the first time trying it. It is such a shame that Soma has such a bad rap. For me, it really helps. I have never had any withdrawls from stopping it. Like it mentioned before, I have been on and off it for 2 1/2 years.

After thinking more about the situation, I to think that I should leave the practice before the next injection. I initially wanted him to do my injection since he is extremely skillful in this area. But it is not worth all the rest of the BS.

I have been taking the Baclofen since Friday night and I have been experiencing SEVERE reflux and possibly esophogitis from it. Is this a common side effect?

I will be calling my PCP tomorrow to let him know what's going on. He actually cares.

I will not take any more Baclofen. Besides the reflux, it is not really helping that much. I refuse to continue using a drug if it does not help enough.

• My PM doctor flipped on me once because he mentioned offhand 3-4 appointments prior to bring my MRI. Mind you between those appointments it wasn't mentioned again, and when I got there the 4th time after he SCREAMED at me and refused to write my scripts until I got them.

Made me quite angry, I mean mention it again, I forget things.
  • I mentioned in another thread that I think my pain management doctor "forgot" to give me a sedative and demerol during a radiofrequency lesioning procedure to make me suffer for trying to switch to another pain management doctor. You have to remember these doctors are only human with failings and bad moods like any other human being. And yeah, they can be nasty buttheads like a lot of other human beings too! You would like to think they put their patients first and are above playing mean and stupid games but they aren't.
  • For that type of behavior! You are well with in your rights to find another PM. Good luck to you.