Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

my surgery is June 19 acdf

cookieflowerwccookieflowerw Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My right arm has been hurting for a yr.. I am having 3 discs in my neck removed and fused..they are crushing my spinal cord giving me such pain in my arm.. did anyone have this pain? thank you!!

• I think most people in your condition will agree that we pretty much all had some sort of arm pain to one degree or another. Mine was and still is a pins and needles feeling in my right arm which leads me to have a second surgery. I know having 3 discs fused at once is probably a scary thing to hear but I'm glad that they will be taking care of you once and for all hopefully. I didn't want to have the first surgery and I'm certainly not looking forward to a second. Any other questions just ask.
  • Thank you so much for replying! I have been reading so much about the surgery and after the surgery, Today I dyed my hair..that was a job in itself lol xox
  • I wish you luck on your surgery. don't expect miracles however Rome wasn't built in a day. You will feel better after you allow your body time to heal. In my case my pain didnt disappear right after surgery because the Nerves remember where they are suppose to be and after you mess with them they get upset. So when I woke up my arms still hurt and that went away a few weeks later. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. It will help to have the surgery but you have to heal a lot first. Do as the doctors say and you'll improve each day.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • Hello -

I myself just had a single level ACDF on June 1st and 14 days later...I'm very glad that I went ahead with the surgery! The strength in my left arm has returned to a great degree, and the pain level is substantially reduced...just some typical post-op soreness, etc. for me now. I had just a 24 hour hospital stay and that was perfect in my case, I was going stir-crazy already and wanted out...and my pain was indeed under control at that point. Granted, you're looking at having 2 additional levels fused (when compared to me), but from what I'm told the difference isn't that substantial when it comes to recovery issues, etc. I still wear my soft collar when my neck is feeling fatigued, but my Doc pretty much gave me the green light to decide how much use was necessary after 5 or 6 days of continual wear. My Steri-strips came off today and the incision is closed and healing nicely...all is well that way.

As for me, the biggest post-op issue was with swallowing, and it pretty much felt like I awoke from anesthesia with a sock stuck in my throat when I tried to swallow...but all in all it was actually more aggravating than it was painful. They'll keep you comfy with the use of a Morphine pump for pain, and you'll be walking within 24 hours of the surgery...just don't expect to be eating much for a few days afterward, it's almost more trouble than it's worth!

Back in 1991, I had a lumbar fusion done at L5/S1 and that was an entirely different situation...6 days in the hospital with 110% more post-op pain. It honestly was a real drag over-all but that fusion worked well too until most recently when I developed "failed back syndrome" down there...which is next on my list of spine issues to address (with probably an SCS implant in store for me).

Anyways, only 5 days left until your surgery and fear not, it's done and over with before you know it and you'll be feeling better and on the road to recovery. All the best to you and take care, feel free to holler back with any questions you might have.

Take care -

• Welcome to Spine-Health. I've had a 3-lvl ACDF and am eight months out. I just had another followup today and I'm fusing well.

You haven't described all your symptoms, but I had major arm issues before my surgery as well - right arm tingling/numbness, left arm weakness and muscle pain, back spasms, etc.

I know surgery is scary, but you'll be glad you had it done if it relieves your symptoms. Mine were gone immediately after surgery and although I have some residual postop stuff going on, it's all normal and will go away eventually as I continue to heal.

One of the most important things to remember is that you have to have 100% confidence in your surgeon. Anybody here that's had surgery will say the same thing.

Let us know when you're surgery is and keep us posted as things move along.

Take care,
  • I had a 3 Level ACDF in January and I feel great. But do take it easy as it is a long recovery. I made the mistake of doing too much when I felt good but it does come back to bite you. I was in the hospital for just one night and I was ready to come home.

I also had arm pain for many years and that pain is now gone! Good Luck and I am sure you will be fine. Any questions feel free to ask.

• I really appreciate everyone responding.. I hope you all feel better.. I really do!
    Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your help and understanding..when I am able I will write after my surgery! Love Wendy
  • Good luck tomorrow. I hope you have a quick reduction in your pain level. Take care!
  • I had a 4 level ACDF in dec. Take it easy after surgery and heal. Wishing you luck and a great surgeon.
  • I am so nervous..my surgery is at 7:45am..I have to be at the hospital at 6:30am and im have acddf c3-4,5-6.6-7, with metal +screws,
    i keep imagining a slit neck and not being able to swallow and talk ..
  • Godspeed in your recovery... positive attitude. Just remember you are taking the first step to being pain free...
  • I hope by the time you are reading this that you are licking a popsicle or sipping soup out of a cup and feeling decent. As many have said the road to recovery may take some time but know that you have done the right thing and we are here to help post op too. Let us know what you think now that you have been through it. It's always interesting to read the recovery stories. Everyone heals differently yet we all shared alot of the same ailments. I wish I had found this great group before my surgery. With that being said I'm glad I'm here now.
  • i just had my surgery the 17th, and i am posting here to let you know i felt the same way about my throat, but i was am a little hoarse, and eating is a issue, but not compared to crying all the time before suffering in pain, for the past year and a half. i only had one level c5/c6 ,. but major surgery is nothing to sneeze about. /:) i had been anticipating every little thing, that i read on here, trying to prepare myself, what i have learned on here from others, so everyone has helped in their own way to prepare for the surgery. but i am so glad to be on the other side. i know you will do fine also. they do make sure you are taken care of with pain meds. i was so warm feeling, they even had a private fan for me in my room at my request. i have got to say the worst part for me is the hard collar, i am getting a little claustrophobic knowing it will be in on for quite some time. i do not see my NS until July 9th, do not remove collar , 24 -7 wearing. i cannot take a shower for 1 week, i will have to take it off then of coarse. but riding in the car was rough, and very hard on me. i peeked at my scar, and i do look like frankenstein, it is about 5 inch scar across front of neck. but i am not concerned about that as much. i just want to get better. i have other issues at this time like fibromyalgia,spinal stenosis, bulging disc in lower back, arthioarthritis, RSD- chronic pain syndrome , that will never go away. so i have applied for SSI, and i am awaiting with more paper work in the mail today to feel up for follow up. cannot function very well , and have been off work for over a year. income wise our family is doing terrible, so I finally gave in, and applied. i am sorry to get off the subject of Cookie here... i am rambling on about myself. i know you will do fine, and be excited as i am to have the surgery done, when i woke up finally in recovery, the first thing i thought of i WOKE UP ! is it over? I had an excellent Neurosurgeon. i love him to death, and makes me feel better, every time i talk to him. that makes a big difference when can communicate, he actually CARES about me. they had trouble with my IV , where it jarred loose, and fluid was running into my hand, it got huge. the nurse started another iv in my same arm, have bad veins anyways, hurt so bad. the doc. came in and said no more torture,she had been through enough, take it out, and just gave percosets, but no morphine of coarse without iv. i did ok. he even used cadavor bone, because i have been through enough, and did not want me hurting anymore with pain from hip graph. i am very glad i had this done, as of today. i hope i feel the same way in about 2 mths. you never know how things will go, but i have hope. let us all know how things went for you COOKIE. take care as i am going through the same thing here. always LEO I)
  • I am 2 weeks post op! Time flies.. It was not easy.. I have a 4 inch incision across my throat.. which feel like someone has a tight string around my neck and my "wing" on the left side hurts. but other than that, the swallowing got better.. my surgeon is awesome.. he said i looked good 6 days post op at his office and i didnt have to wear the soft collar that i went home with, but my first outing to Walmart yesterday I did wear it in the car.. I dont feel well enough to drive .. or do everything yet, I guess everyone is different.. I would like to know if bending is ok?