Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

revision surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am scheduled to have a revision surgery for a non-fusion of my C5-6. My options were an ACDF with synthetic material or a posterior fusion. My neuro surgeon says he wants me to go with the ACDF and he is going to have an orthopedic surgeon help him this time since it is more complicated having to remove the plate and screws etc. I havent heard of anyone on here having the synthetic stuff done. My plate and screws are titanium. Can anyone give me any information on this or on the recovery time for a revision. I'm assuming its about the same as the ACDF I had the first time, but Im always surprised by what you can learn from someone who has already been there. Any advice appreciated.

• We're both Cindys with non-unions. I actually was called CJ by my husband when we were dating (my maiden name begins with a J).

I'm not sure what synthetic material is being used for revisions. Is he talking about BMP or something like an artificial disc? I'd be very careful using BMP (which is a synthetic glue-type material), as it is not FDA approved for use in the cervical spine. My surgeon used it on my revision, but only posteriorly and in places that would not cause problems. Maybe that is not what you are talking about though, but you should definitely find out more details before proceeding.

I can only tell you how the posterior revision has been, and it has been EXTREMELY difficult to recover from. My revision was done from the front and the back at the same time (doc said not a flip--he flips pancakes, ha ha, but rather gently turned me over, lol). The posterior muscles have weakened to the point that I have a very difficult time keeping my head up without support, not that it will actually go anywhere because I have more than enough hardware, but the neck muscles spasm horribly if I go more than a few minutes without support. So if you have a choice to do it all anteriorly, I would say go for that, just make sure you know what, if any, risks are associated with this synthetic material. Ultimately only you can decide what is best for you. Sorry you have to go through yet more surgery, but maybe this one will do the trick. Good luck!
    (The other) Cindy

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Thank you very much. I have an appt with the neurosurgeon and the orthopedic surgeon next week, and i am making a list of questions. I had the posterior approach as well and the muscle has never fully healed(thats the reason for the botox injections..i have a constant spasm in my shoulder now). I am unsure of the synthetic material as well(what it is). I will find out though. I know it has been used before and the main side effect is the feeling of choking (or so the neuro said). I cant find very much info on the internet on the type of material he is talking about so figured I would check here. I agree...our names must have something to do with it. My married name is J. Maybe I should get a divorce and that will heal me lol..jk.Thanks for the info

• Hi Cindy,
    I have had both anterior and posterior revision surgery as well. My last surgery used BMP since I have had psuedoarthrosis(sp). Mind you that everyone is different in the healing process. But my take after using BMP is that I recommend following the FDA regulations it is not recommended at all for cervical spines. Matter fact the packing is clearly labeled with a caution. Have they on either of your 2 previous surgeries used your bone? Here is my caution about the use of BMP. I did ok for first two days no real side effects about the fourth day I was having issues staying awake. Mind you I take care of myself. I didn't realize that my neck was swelling so bad that I wasn't getting enough oxgen. Now I am here to tell the tail of it, but there have been many serious side effects from the use of it. The issue is the swelling itself and if some is spilt can cause other bone to grow as well. So I just say you need to completely understand what it is they are using and the side effects.

Let us know what the surgeons say this week. If I can be of any help don't hesitate to pm me.