Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Unusual Food Cravings!

TTLCTTTLC Posts: 876
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
Hi Everyone... :H

I have been wanting to post this for quite some time, but due to my CRS syndrome... I keep forgetting. (CRS = Can't Remember Squat).

Do any of you experience out of the ordinary food cravings since your surgeries, or perhaps it is due to the medications we take? I have looked up the side effects on my meds. (The Ambien appears to have this effect on some people).

After my surgery, I first craved Cream of Wheat. I could not get enough of it. Since Cream of Wheat is loaded full of vitamins, I figured my body was running low on the vitamins and calcium.

After Cream of Wheat, it was Cheerios. Both are healthy, so I didn't find it those that unusual.

Well after I had my fill of the cereals, my cravings turned to Krispy Kreme donuts. I craved only the regular glazed kind or the jelly filled. My hubby was getting these every evening for me, for approximately 4 weeks.

Since the Easter Bunny visited, I have been going strong with miniature Reese's Peanut Butter cups. I'm talking... morning, noon and night!

I can't be pregnant, as I had a hysterectomy 6 years ago. And, I haven't gained any extra weight from these cravings... thank God! Maybe because they are the miniature version? :))(

Just have been wondering if anyone else experiences this?

• I go through the same thing and have really no idea why. Maybe it's related to the anesthesia drugs or the hormone shifts or even our systems restarting the endorphin engine. If you come up with a good answer, let me know. Until then, eat whatever it is you crave.

• After my first surgery I could not get enough Kool-aid. Kool-aid was like crack for me. I would seriously go crazy if I didn't have it. I probably made like 2 gallons of it a day and drank it all! That could possibly be one of the reasons I gained so much weight. LOL
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    1 Scoop Vanilla Ice Cream
    1 Scoop Butter Pecan Ice Cream
    Butterscotch Syrup
    Tons of Walnuts/Pecans
    Slight spray of Whipped Cream

Along with

French Vanilla Coffee mixed with some Expresso,
    1 tsp Kahula, 1tsp Baileys

Put it together and Yummmmmmy

Problem is that is my craving, but IF I did go out an buy all that I would be eating it morning, afternoon and night... So instead, I can just dream about it
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Ohhhhh my...

These two delightful treats certainly compliment each other!

Okay guys... it shall be Sundae time tonight at my house, so come on over!

I can't be prudent on this one, Papa Ron.

P.S. I'll pick up some rhubarb for you Paul, we've got plenty of Kool-Aid for you Ashley and "C"... we can raid the frige and freezer for whatever looks yummy for you. :)
  • I can't seem to get enough milk or milk products. I crave some form of it every day. I've been eating cereal every morning, but the kind I crave isn't that healthy - Corn Pops.

Then, in the afternoons I often treat myself to a Reese's Peanutbutter Cup blizzard from Dairy Queen. And like you, Tammy, I haven't gained any weight.

I figure I'm craving calcium because of my neck fusion, but who knows?

• Corn pops! hahaha ... I love those things. That and puffed wheat with honey and milk. Oh man I can't allow myself to buy either of those. I even remember the days when I would crave something like Captain Crunch.

Seriously though, do you take any kind of calcium supplement or vitamin D? One of my neurologists started me on Calcium with vit D many many moons ago when it became apparent that I would be on anti-seizure meds for the duration. Somehow they interfere with calcium absorption, which of course isn't good for the bones.

Today's craving is for chocolate cake with fudge frosting and an ice cold glass of milk.

• Yeah, I know about the Corn Pops but I simply can't resist. I've tried Raisin Bran, but it just leaves me wanting my Corn Pops. LOL

I do take Calcium with Vit. D. I also take a multivitamin, fish oil capsules, vit. E, pomegranite pills, and LiverCare. It's quite the after-lunch snack!
  • I haven't had back surgery but have had other surgeries for my shoulder and nose x2 and didn't really have too many cravings CRS lol. I know when I injured my back and becoming immobile I craved any kind of icecream though and gained 50 lbs! I've lost 17 pounds after decreasing lyrica though and only eat fruit and yogurt everyday for dessert. No more icecream for me. I'll eat a square or 2 of dark 85% choclate almost everyday for it's health antioxident properties. It's nice to have lost the 17 lbs I can see my toes now! Cream of wheat is full of iron and maybe your body was craving that. I also take centrum performance multivit & mineral with ginseng for energy and since I started cymbalta I don't get cravings at all. I love peanut butter cups and cadbury or laura secord cream egg at Easter time though just one. My husband makes coconut bread and that with a glass of milk is divine. I love DQ blizzards but I had one only last month. Gotta watch it with my weight I wish I had a fast metabolism...TC Charry

PS I love rhubarb and rhubarb-strawberry pie!
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
This discussion has been closed.