Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Home after TLIF - 4 days ago

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all! Been home since Thursday 4/11. It's been moving along well, and enjoyed walking 1/2 a block yesterday. I'm still working on finding the most comfortable position to stay in.....(bed with pillows all over) or (recliner). Pain meds keep me OK, and not falling into depression. Was excited to shower last night and really did my best to get the iodine off my sides (what a mess).
Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers!!
Vivster :D

• Glad all is going well and hope things continue to get better with each passing day. I am sked for the same procedure on 3 August, but I am having second thoughts. Have you noticed any immediate relief? Back or Leg? All the best to you. Mike
  • Glad to hear you're home and doing well. I took to my bed again right away. I've never been comfortable in the recliner, but I know a lot of folks are.

Mike - oftentimes the relief is not instant. Actually, come to think of it, I was in more pain AFTER surgery (well, I had two) because the nerves in my legs started to go nuts. They gave me Lyrica and it stopped the pain -- only needed it for about a month. Then the real healing began.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • My leg pain wasn't noticeable until yesterday (day 6) Now is is back slightly (burning). I've read that this can happen - so I'm trying not to panic.
    I was feeling good - and I think that I walked too much and sat in chairs too long when folks came to visit.
    So - I'm upping my pain med to get through.

Thank you for your encouraging words. It will be a long road - but I'm honestly enjoying not going to work loaded out of my mind on vicodyn - just to keep my job. Thankful I didn't hurt anyone driving my car.
  • Vivster,

Take it slow - not that I have a clue what post fusion surgery feels like, but from everything I've read it is important not push the body to hard to fast. I know that after my surgery I am probably going to have to think hard about how much I try to push myself. I met a new co-worker the other day and was like WOW I get to talk face to face with a post fusion patient almost 1 yr to the day from her surgery. She told me that she never questions her decision even though she still has pain (only mechanical back pain - all the leg pain is gone). She also said that early in her recovery she would walk 1.5 miles and feel great and then push it another 1.5 and be in bed for 3 days. She had a 1 level L5/S1 TLIF.

Anyway - I hope you get better and better with each passing day - continue to reach out to all our post fusion friends - they are a wonderful source of information and support. Thank goodness for this site. Keep me posted on your recovery. As my surgery date gets closer I am sure I will be freaking out. You know the weird thing - for most of today I felt like I didn't have a back problem and tonight within a matter five minutes - BAM it is back. I guess it is par for the course when it comes to our spines. All that being said - I suspect it is not odd to feel a small return of old pain - but wouldn't hurt to ring up the surgeon just to be safe. All the best, Mike