Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg pain is getting worse

ezraeezra Posts: 72
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Chronic Pain
Yesterday I hit an all time low. I am not sure what the knee pain is about but it, well, sucks. The pain is in the entire leg but seems to stay in the joint area the worst. Last night I had heat on it for a while switching from back/hip to knee to ankle. But by the time I went to bed I could not bend my knee without crying. My husband helped me into bed and tried to massage it a little bit but his touching my knee was very painful. I don't know how normal this is. I am very used to leg pain just not this kind. Today it is like nothing was wrong last night. I hurt but not to the extent it was last night.

At the same time it is also going numb through the entire leg. Sometimes I wonder if it is the way I am sitting causing it to go numb or if it is actually the back problems that is the reason. Is it normal for the numbness to be there suddenly and go away in minutes or am I just sitting wrong? I don't know if I will ever get used to the new pains that keep showing up.

• Hi ezra. is your leg or foot swollen. is your thinking slow? do you feel confused? are you having trouble walking. if so see a Dr. quickly. Just want to make sure you didn't develop clot. are you on any meds that might be getting you down. also some meds cause weight gain.
    did you ever get gout?....the weird knee sensations could be from gout.
    what surgery did you have?
    i have major spine issues and i get numbness in certain positions. also for many months after surgery you can feel strange tingling and numbness that's just a normal part of healing. the changes in position put pressure on the spinal nerves. it's hard to distinguish whether it's from sitting wrong or just pressure on the spinal nerves.
    if you are experiencing numbness while standing there would be no doubt that the source is spinal nerves. if you were sitting like a baseball catcher and legs got numb it might be more from your sitting position. the pain in your knees sounds like it could be spinal nerves. were you operated on L3? the long and the short of it is iF you get numb legs you've got to move. whether numbness is from position or spine it can go away quickly with a position change.
    stretching lightly should help. can you do that? does dr. allow it?
    regarding weight....what meds are you on? some pain killers can really effect your weight. are you on lyrica? or Neurontin? are you getting any swelling in your legs and feet? tell dr. if that is the case..
    I have weight trouble too,,,,I went to the dr. last week and i had gained 5 lbs. I told the dr. that i eat nothing! well he said eat half of that! :* :*
    there have to be some exercises you can do. like lying on your back and just sliding your foot a bit up toward your butt. with dr.'s ok see how many you can do before leg gets tired. a few months ago i tried it and did 20. now i do 150. you and i have many of the same issues. i hope things will start improving. best of luck. give us some feedback...
    , pete

• Thank you. I have not had any surgery. I have not even had a treatment of any kind yet. I was told a few weeks ago PT 3X per week for three weeks and ESI. But I can't get the ESI because I am pregnant, so the PT has to wait because I can't do it with the pain level I have now. So it is just the conditions at this point causing the problems. I have DDD, Mild degenerative facet hyertropy, Ligamentum flavum redundancy, mild cenral stenosis and narrowing of the right lateral recess, and L4L5 and L5S1 herniation, L5S1 is on the nerve.

I am not on medication at this time because of pregnancy so I am kind of just dealing with the pain and yelling at people who happen to be getting to me while I hurt.

The numbness comes when I am sitting in a regular chair but goes away once I stand. My foot is a little swollen but could come with the pregnancy, I always had that problem before. But it seems to be only my right foot, the same leg the pain is in. I am not thinking any slower than usual and I am not confused. But walking is a problem, it always is when my back "goes out".

The Dr. didn't tell me how to stretch just gave me a sheet on doing it while pregnant, ignoring the back problems and focusing on the pregnancy great Ortho Dr, he is. I stretch, not sure if it helps it or hurts it being that I don't know the right way to stretch for my back.
  • i guess my own personal experiences aren't going to help with regard to the pregnancy. back pain and numbness i can relate to.
    It sounds like the problem is all related to your back. the protruding disks being the main culprit. Here are my suggestions
    1. still see the physical therapist who could assist you in doing beneficial stretching to the extent of not causing added pain. You don't have to have the injection to benefit from her expertice.. Therapist can help you do the exercises in a way that would be easy for you. also have therapist show you how to use ice and heat to alleiviate pain. In addition therapist can help you with proper posture when you sit or stand. i think the therapist will be your best friend through this ordeal. she will also show you some reaxing positions that will reduce your pain
    2. Relaxation and breathing exercises which you may find in this web site would also help.
    3. see your dr. to find out if there are any medicines you can take while being pregnant
    4. check with your dr. about using a tens unit which sends a weak electric current into your skin. my guess is that it would not hurt your pregnancy situation.
    5. check with dr. to see if you can do accupuncture, which can relax you and ease your pain.

sorry i missed the fact you had not had surgery.

i think that you can still get some relaxation and pain relief even though you are pregnent. keep us posted on your progress. also i'd be interested in what dr. says about you being able to use tens unit.

best of luck with everything
  • The fact that you are pregnant may be contributing to the back pain and nerve pain in your legs. The baby may be in a position to be pressing on L4-5 & S1. How far along are you? As the baby gets larger, you may have more sx's. Not what you want to hear, I know. It sounds like when you are sitting, things are a little crowded in there :D , and when you stand, there is more room for baby to shift around. I would guess you are a small person, without a whole lot of room inside, and that and the combination of the DDD and stenosis is the cause of your problems. I'm assuming you have an OB, and either a neuro or orthopedic dr. You might ask them both what you can do to alleviate your painful sx's. Good luck, and congratulations =D> Boy or girl?

Take care
  • HI. I'm actually only 19 weeks along. At this point. I have only lost weight, though I can feel the baby moving and know the growing is going good. My OB is a Nurse Practitioner, who doesn't understand that this is real pain, she offers PT, but never gives any advice and just sends me on my way. And the guy I saw recently for Ortho well, lets just say he is no longer my Dr. He just kind of blew me off and said talk to your OB for pain meds and questions about the ESI. I would like if he would be willing to work with who I am seeing for the baby, so that way I have the Dr.s I need. So at this point I have no one that understands and wants to help. I am to see the NP on Thursday and I hope she will give me the time to talk instead of cutting me off and sending me out the door.
    We should find out next week what the baby is. Not looking forward to laying down for a 45 min ultrasound, can you say OUCH!
  • I talked to OB today. Tens machine is a no. She didn't know the answer and never found out but I just looked online and it says not to use it unless you are specifically told to do so. So I guess it helps more than it could hurt.

The pain for now isn't that bad, it's been one of the better weeks. She has still not answered what I can take. But she is trying to help find someone for me to see for PT that is good with pregnancy. She isn't sure how she is with someone with problems like mine, but she gets great reviews from others.
  • Ice is your friend. Ice it several times a day. It took 3 days of constantly icing my back before my leg stopped hurting/burning and going numb. If that does not help talk to you doctor about Prednisone. This is common with pregnant women it pinches your sciatic never and prednisone has helped me many times; even though I have no idea what it's like to be pregnant since I am male :)
This discussion has been closed.